SquareTrade Coverage MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ghsNick, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

So I've had a hard time deciding between SquareTrade and AppleCare and made a decision tonight (drunk, but I think it was still a good one.)

AppleCare would have came out to $252 with Student Discount and Tax. It only covers failures on their part.

SquareTrade costs $350, but I got a 25% discount and paid $280 total with some discounts. It covers accidental and failures.

I feel like I made a good decision. My question is, has anyone delt with SquareTrade before with a messed up MBP? I know I take great care of my products, but it just feels a little better know accidental coverage is covered for another $28.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Care to share some of these discounts for other potential buyers?:)

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

4. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Just quoted my MBP 13" for three years and it is $152. I may highly consider this as I did not purchase Apple Care when I purchased my machine. Hmmm.

Thanks for sharing, it may come in handy!

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Make sure you add the accidental coverage. Mine was originally $200 something and I had to add accidental. In the long run it's worth it. I don't wanna kick myself in 2 years for not paying the extra $20 to have accidental protection.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

What's your deductible for accidental repairs?

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

No deductible.
    I think there's only deductible's for cell phones. I'm pretty sure.

The only "flaw" that could be considered is they will cover up to full price of computer.

Say your MBP cost $1799. So say it breaks once and they fix it and spend $700. If it somehow breaks again they will only cover up to $1099 to fulfill their $1799 obligation.

My theory though, it's VERY unlikely that you have 2 major fixing issues. If it's so major the first time you can call their customer service (which is awesome) and say you want a replacement, not a fix.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

doubtful, and even more so in a 3 year period. that repair cost up to the price of the mbp could haunt you depending on the circumstances.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

It could. But these are well made machines. I think the user is more capable of making an error than Apple. The odds are definitely in my favor of having a good machine and not a "bad lemon" that causes problems like few people do.

Who knows? But I had a Target warranty for my iPod 3 years ago, it broke (software issue), I sent it in and they fixed it, and it's been working ever since (2 years.)

So I'm assuming that if something "bad" happens, SquareTrade is more than capable of fixing the issue the first time.