Squaretrade for 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abs_p, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I am thinking of getting Square Trade at $99/2years.

It says they will pay the money if i get it repaired at genius bar and then it says if it's more than $269 a replacement will be given. Now the OOW replacement for 6s is $329. So how does that work?

Anyone know about this?

I'm travelling right now so i am unable to call them right now.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nvrmnd. Having reading comprehension issues it would appear.

3. ACG12 macrumors 6502

These 3rd party insurance companies all suck. Go with Apple Care.

4. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

I love square trade. Reimbursement within 2 hours and waives the deductible. Much cheaper than AC+.

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Guess you've never tried SquareTrade then. Kick ass service for way less than AppleCare.

Exact same experience I had when I had to get my iPhone 6 display fixed. Reimbursed me for the whole repair from the Genius Bar and waived the deductible. Excellent service, immediately got SquareTrade for my 6s Plus.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

Why did they waive the deductible?

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

square trade has a policy where if the repair cost is under $125 they will waive the deductible.

how square trade works.
    you have 4 claims
    you can get either 2 years for $99 or 3 years for $129

the purchase cost of the phone, lets say $949 is the total amount that square trade will spend
    for repairs over the life of the contract. minus the $75 deductible.

so if you need a screen repair for a 6s+ that is $149 - 75 = 74 gets deducted from 949

so you run over your phone . they want $329. 329 - 75 = 254 gets deducted from the 949

you lose out on applecare support. thats really nice to have. applecare phone support really helps out and they spend the time to look this up or give you someones email address. . the genius just kinda rushes you out the door with a rubber stamp

applecare only overs 2 incidents.

applecare covers your airport and time capsule as long as it was purchased 2 years ago to 3 years of applecare.

you make a claim against square trade. they approve the claim. you go and have the phone swapped out and send them your receipt , and they reimburse you via paypal in a few days.

i got them to reimburse me the same day for a mac book pro power adapter.

iPads and macs are different. they offer no deductibles on iPads. but apple care requires one

square trade will offer mail in service for all computers. and iPhones and iPads , they offer next day replacements. oh sure i bet apple does too. but they don't think a mac mini is a portable computer. so if you have mac mini claims, you have to drive to the store. or ask them nicely for onsite.
    because they won't accept mail in service for a mac mini

8. rigormortis, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

why i chose square trade was because apple says , the repair costs for the new 6s and 6s+
    are more. so we have to raise the price of applecare, so they claim.

yeah right, you look at the apple page for out of warranty repair costs, and the repair costs
    are exactly the same as last years iPhone.

i am so upset they raised applecare for no reason

the only thing that went up in price was screen replacements for the 6s+ are $149

all the other repair costs are exactly the same

here is what apple says. fee is what you pay with apple care. swap out is what you pay for no warranty

iPhone 6s Plus

deductible $ 99 swap out $ 329

iPhone 6s

deductible $ 99 swap out $ 299

iPhone 6 Plus

fee $ 79 swap out $ 329

iPhone 6

fee $79 swap out $ 299

iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5

fee $ 79 swap out $ 269

as you can see apple is charging $50 more for a $20 increase in fees and repair costs.

screens are
    6s plus $149 (fee $99)
    6s, $129 (fee $99)
    6 plus $129 ( fee $79)
    iPhone 6 $109 (fee $79)
    iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 ($129, fee $79)

yeah so the out of warranty screen fees are $20 more , but the out of warranty cost of $129 is the same on 5 models

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the break down

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I LOVE SquareTrade. Use them for everything. Have been using them for many years. I wish they warrantied people!

11. doboy, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

doboy macrumors 68000

NVM. The website states 3 claims for smartphones, but the rep over the phone told me it's 4 claims now. Also I was able to get $10 discount on the iPhone plan (either plan). I decided to go with the 3 years since I can always get a pro-rated refund and it might help with the resale value after 2 years.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

For my phone, I use AppleCare+ because I work out of my house and my phone literally sits on my night stand or on my desk 90% of it's entire life. That doesn't mean I don't drop it (I have done that previously) but I also don't use a case so I like to have some kind of insurance with it.

To contrast, my wife uses a case for drop protection but also works at a university where there's a likelihood that her phone could get stolen. In fact, she did have her phone stolen once. Because of this difference, I get her a 1-year policy with Worth Avenue Group. This covers loss, theft, damage, etc. I called them and explained the last theft situation and they told me that if we had their coverage at the time, we would have been covered.

After 1 year of WAG coverage, we "self insure" with my old iPhone so if she loses/breaks her phone she has to revert to last year's model.

You have to figure out what is more likely to happen to YOU and what kind of turnaround you need. I need my phone for my job so Apple's advance replacement (usually overnight or within 1.5 days) is critical for me. My chances of having my phone stolen are not as great. Therefore, AC+ is best for me. My wife could have hers stolen OR broken and does not NEED her phone like I do (we always have a spare -- right now it's my old iPhone 5) so theft/loss coverage is a must, therefore WAG.

13. doboy macrumors 68000

You can take your phone to the genius bar at Apple to get it fixed and Squaretrade will reimburse you.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Lets just be sure everyone understands. Squaretrade is a diminishing value policy. Its starts with a covered level (what you paid). Each repair lowers that level. Use it all up and you have no policy.

Applecare, on the other hand, covers all repairs, and 2 accidental replacements for the entire warranty period.

I went with ST this time because I will hold the phone only for 1 year and it was cheaper. I wanted some coverage to make resale a bit easier.

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the one advantage of a diminishing value policy is that lets say your like me , and you buy a $999 macbook air, and you spill water on it after a year, if the repairs outweigh the cost of a new computer you get $999 to buy a current model

i had a claim like that. the logic board replacement nearly totaled out my funds , so the policy was diminished a lot

i had enough square trade points to warranty a tv and mac mini for free

i only used them once or twice

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

I just signed for square trade for my wife iPhone 6s. She's horrible with phones.

Questions

1. Preordered it. Got it on launch day via FedEx. I waited until "30 days". Now here we get into semantics.

It was "shipped from ATT Sept 23rd". I got it on Sept 25th. Apple warranty status says my warranty ends Sept 24 2016.

So if I signed up for square trade October 23rd. Am I within my 30 days to sign up for square trade?

2. It was purchased for $299 subsidized pricing from ATT. I found a Twitter account from square trade they will reimbursed you up to full retail price but that was from 2013. Anyone have any issues dealing with subidized price vs retail price.

17. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

1) call them at 1 877 warranty and ask. the coverage period starts when you accept delivery. if i were you i would buy it today, submit your receipt, and then if they don't approve it, you can get a refund

2) they will reimburse you for the full retail value of the iPhone, they don't limit your plan to the subsidized price.i heard it was 4 incidents or $999 , or whatever comes first. on my mac mini it says max coverage $499, on my mac book pro retina it says 1699.99 but on my phone it is blank

18. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I have always had Squaretrade warranties for all of my idevices. I find Squaretrade much better than Apple Caere. Years ago, I filed a claim for my daughter's itouch and Squaretrade sent me a check to buy a new one. Squaretrade is the best!