SquareTrade July 4th coupon: 30% off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coelacanth, Jun 29, 2010.

1. coelacanth macrumors 6502

It's not as large as the last one, but there you go.

"07FOURTH"

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

3. stevew2023 macrumors newbie

4. coelacanth thread starter macrumors 6502

Just some random thoughts.

Because ST won't cover lost phones, the worst case senario is physically damaged phone in hand.

Apple will replace the phone with out-of-warranty problems for $199.

Premium (30% discount) + $50 deductible was $143.75 for 16GB i4.

If you don't file a claim and cancel after one year (many of us here would jump on to iPhone 5 next year right??), you can get refund for prorated amount. I'm not sure how they prorate, but I'm assuming I'm getting 50% back. 93.75 (2 yr) / 2 = $46.88

So the bottom line:

If I don't use the insurance, I'm just short of $46.88
    If I break the phone and use the warranty, I'll save $55.25 compared to Apple's out-of-warranty replacement.

I'm still worried about theft/robbery, but SafeWare (not ST) only covers $400 for 16GB model.

Hmmm. What do I do what do I do...

5. 8mpg macrumors regular

Now..I know that it isnt right...but many people throw their phones on the ground and send it in before the warranty is up.

THis is the same as the Sams/Costco warranty on TV's. They had a 2 year satisfaction guarantee on electronics. People would take their 1.5 year old working tv in and say they werent happy with it anymore. Well...satisfaction guaranteed...they took it back and offered 100% of the purchase price on a new one.

Some people will take advantage of a company when they offer nice things. Some will have strong morals

6. 5683592 Suspended

Thanks for the code! I missed out on the last one so I had been waiting for another to come up.

Happy i'm now finally insured!

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Can you really get the iPhone 5 when it comes out though? It seemed that AT&T this year made you wait 18 months, not just 12.... so your math would be a tad off... still close though.

I'm still at a toss up... I think I'm just doing applecare for $35 thru ebay... cheap, relatively easy as long as I don't throw my phone down (only ever broken one phone)... so we'll see.'

Thanks for code though!

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

9. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

You better believe if that **** is out within my 30 day return policy (+/- 7 days) I'm getting it ;)

10. coelacanth thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't care or include AT&T contract time or the cost of iPhone 5 (or whatever next gen) to the math. I guess I'm just a sucker so I'll endup buying new model next year anyway. :p I know this doesn't work for everyone, but especially on MR, I think there are quite many people upgrading every year and selling last years model to offset the cost.

I'll definitely make my GF get AppleCare AND a case because she will stick with iPhone 4 for two years, but for me, AppleCare doesn't do much because I'll buy new phone in a year time, and even if I don't, Amex extends the warranty term to 2 years. (but again, I highly doubt I'll keep this phone more than a year.)

Anyho, I'm also still not entirely sure if I should get an insurance or which one to get. I'm mainly tossing ideas between SquareTrade (lower cost, but no lost coverage) and SafeWare (max payout won't cover lost phone, but it covers loss/theft).

Or I should just be super duper extra careful on buses and trains against robbery (happens a lot there) and eat Apple's $199 price tag if I ever break the phone...

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I normally upgrade every 18 months-24 months... and i KNOW my **** will go bad at day 366... so I'll get applecare for the $35... and as far as breaking it... I'm pretty careful I think <knocks on wood>... and the theft thing... not really an issue for me I guess....

I have my conceal to carry license... and you better believe if anybody steals my iP4 their getting some of my hollow-point 9mm from the Ruger SR9c.

12. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Where are you getting Apple Care for $35?

13. coelacanth thread starter macrumors 6502

ebay, mate. Just buy from reputable seller. I've done it for MacBooks many times w/o problem. Again, as long as you buy from good seller, there is nothing to it. You can get MobileMe subscription (works for renewal too) this way as well.

14. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

+1

I get my mobileme (~$50-$60 for entire year) and applecare (~$30-$50 for iphone).... just read the feedback, as long as it's good, don't hesitate.