Squaretrade or Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Really digging the accidental damage coverage (especially since I've had a failed keyboard twice now).

But Applecare provides 'technical support' ... What does this even mean? I'm not computer illiterate, I've never had any computer issues that I couldn't resolve myself (or with the help of the Internet).

So really ... What's the Applecare advantage?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Exactly, what the hell is "tech support", how do I restart my Mac? I mean... come on. All the REAL in depth issues AppleCare doesn't know ANYTHING about or how to resolve them. This forum is more useful for tech support.

Extended warranty for 2-3 years is it? Doesn't cover lost, stolen or physical damage. Only manufacturer defects, such as a HDD dying or logic board dying. To me AppleCare is a waste of money.

Home owners insurance and/or SquareTrade is much more effective imo.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree. The few times I've called AppleCare on technical issues, the support reps couldn't answer my questions and I ended up teaching them. This forum is far more useful for resolving non-hardware issues.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Hey, thanks for agreeing :D lol. Yea, they are just entry level help desk techs answering phone calls with a Knowledge Base in front of them... idiots.

5. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, thanks guys. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since the better choice seemed so painfully obvious.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I always suggest this beccause I have had good luck with them. Look at Worth Ave Group. They have reasonable premiums and deductibles, include accidental damage and coverage for loss and theft.

I have had a couple of claims and they have always been really great. I have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads and an MBA insured with them.