Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Ok, so I'm seeing both as coming out to be the same prime for me. My only problem is which is more worth it? If I get ST, I lose the benefit of going to an Apple Store for help after one year. BUT I get accidental damage coverage. Anyone ever been in this dilemma (and I'm thinking about a Macbook Pro Retina).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I cannot comment on SquareTrade but have heard great things of them. AppleCare is definitely a worthwhile investment. It covers all of your accessories plus the Mac itself. I would weigh it on who you are more comfortable with, an Apple Technician or a SquareTrade tech handling your Mac.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Does the SquareTrade offer come with accidental protection? If so it's a good option.

Otherwise I would get AppleCare. Check B&H for better prices.

vorst99

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Applecare every time.

Remember with squaretrade, whatever you insure your machine for is the maximum they pay out.

For example, you have $1500 of coverage.
1 repair costs them $600. You now have $900 left.
2nd repair $500. You now have $400 left.
3rd repair $600. Oops, you don't have enough coverage, no repair.

In this situation I've heard that they will either send you a check for $600, buy back your original warranty at cost or just stick their head in the sand and do nothing.

Apple will repair/replace as many times as needed for the whole 3 years. A no brainer really.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
AppleCare

If something goes wrong with the machine, you bring it/send it to Apple and they repair/replace it free of charge. There are no payments/claims/reimbursements. You get an itemized list of all the work and parts they used with a big zero at the bottom.

My AppleCare has paid for itself and then some over the course of the years I've owned Macs. I've had failed logic boards, hard disks and LCD panels replaced several times.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
AppleCare

If something goes wrong with the machine, you bring it/send it to Apple and they repair/replace it free of charge. There are no payments/claims/reimbursements. You get an itemized list of all the work and parts they used with a big zero at the bottom.

My AppleCare has paid for itself and then some over the course of the years I've owned Macs. I've had failed logic boards, hard disks and LCD panels replaced several times.

My position is somewhat similar. I have always bought Applecare for my Apple laptops, and it has paid for itself on my first three laptops, a 2008 MBP (HDD replaced in the third year of Applecare), 2010 MBA (Magsafe and keyboard replaced), and my 11" 2013 MBA (keyboard replaced).

Seeing what SaSaSushi has described as the 'big zero' at the bottom of a list of repairs is a very reassuring sight, and Applecare allows you the peace of mind of knowing that this sort of stuff will be covered for three years, rather than the 1 of the initial warranty.

A further consideration: Applecare will make it easier for you to sell the computer in the future - not that it will enhance the price hugely, but it will give a degree of reassurance to a potential buyer - making closure of a sale somewhat easier.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

A further consideration: Applecare will make it easier for you to sell the computer in the future - not that it will enhance the price hugely, but it will give a degree of reassurance to a potential buyer - making closure of a sale somewhat easier.

Thank you, that's an excellent point. You are 100% correct that if you should be selling the Mac within the 3 years of AppleCare coverage, it absolutely adds to the resale value. :)

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I prefer Square because of the accident protection alone

I paid either $85 or $99 for 3 years

I had my iP4 replaced twice during that time by Square
Paid Apple store $140 and Square sent me a check for $140

Have it on my MBA now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.