SquareTrade vs AppleCare+ ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VydorScope, Oct 13, 2011.

1. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Looks like the price of both plans is the same right now, and both have $50 deductible on damage. Apple Care limites you to two claims, Square Trade has no limit. Both let you bring into a local Apple Store (ST will reimburse you), and so on. What am I missing? Seems like both plans are nearly identical now? Any reason to get one over the other?

Thanks!

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If they are close, I'd go with the Apple one, I just feel like you're going to get better support directly from them, plus AppleCare+ comes with 2 years of tech support, and Apple has to have the better tech support for their own products (this includes software support). I guess if you expect more than two "catastrophic damage incidents", SquareTrade might be better, but that seems pretty unlikely, doesn't it? If that's a problem, I think you maybe have other issues that need to be examined first.

3. MrJay23 macrumors member

I purchased Squaretrade right when i pre ordered my iphone 4s.
    Cancelled it when i heard you can get 2 accident coverage.
    What are the chances you'll break your phone due to damage more than two times?
    The thing that made me switch is that you don't have to go through paying full price and WAITING for reimbursement.

4. VydorScope thread starter macrumors regular

VydorScope

I assume you are referring to taking it to an apple store for repair? I do not have an Apple Store with in 3 hours drive, so I have always had to deal with either fixing my Mac's myself, or mailing them some place. :(

5. MrJay23 macrumors member

well if thats the case that you have to send it to apple then squaretrade can work for you.. i had squaretrade for iphone 4 and i never had to use it, got refunded when i got 4s for 76 bucks and used that towards applecare so either way i dont think you can go wrong

6. agtwashington macrumors newbie

Just a point of information if something happens to your phone that requires sending it in for repair/replacement then if you don't have Applecare they can't do a swap shipment. Meaning that if you have to send it in, you have to box it up and send it to Apple, wait for them to receive it, and then they will send out a new one. If you have Applecare you will be without a device for a much shorter amount of time.