SquareTrade vs Applecare+

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elpmas, Oct 12, 2012.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Hi all,

I couldn't use the search function...so I'm asking for your opinion in which is better: Squaretrade or Applecare+ for an iPhone 5.

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

AppleCare, go to the source... However, unless you often do things that create excessive usage or rough treatment, it might be worth passing on spending on either. At least I don't use it (except I did have AC when I owned a iMac two years ago).

3. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Well, I was thinking about going caseless if I got either warranty. They are so close in terms of coverage...I just want the best bang for my buck. From what i'm getting...both are charging a ~$50 deductible for accidental and replacement, but AC is limited to 2 and ST is ~4.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I got AC on my 15 in MBP. I think it's worth it when a mainboard replacement can cost $900. I got AC on my first iPhone but I don't think I'll bother with AC on my iPhone 5. As for not getting a case... You do realize the iP5 is anodized and easily scratched don't you? I would definitely get a case. In fact I already have a case and my phone isn't due to arrive for some time because I don't want to carry it around for even one day if it means scratching it up. If I decide the iP6 or iP6s has something I just can't live without and I want to sell my iP5, I'll get a lot more for it if it's "virgin" because I've protected it in a case. BTW, they say the iP5 is the most rugged of recent iPhones but the black one scratches easily.

If I had to choose between AC and Squaretrade, I think I'd pick AC. I believe there is a version of AC that covers accidental damage and Apple customer service puts the rest of the world to shame. Even if it covers more and costs less, I doubt Squaretrade will treat you as well as Apple will treat you.

5. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

No I understand that it scratches easily. I'm not too worried about it scratching...had it for a week without a case, still scratch free lol. Well, I know that Apple supposedly has great CS, but I've also heard that ST isn't too bad either lol. Both are A's on BBB. The only reason why I'm still thinking of ST is that fact that I don't have to take my phone in to get it inspected by Apple to get the AC+.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I just checked and AC+ does require you to let them "inspect" your phone. At&t offers insurance for $7 a month that adds up to over $99 in 2 years but there is no inspection involved with the At&t insurance and I believe you can start it at any time.

I guess I'll have to decide about AC+ within the next 30 days or so as my iP5 just shipped yesterday. A trip to my local Apple store is no big deal for me.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Another thing to consider regarding which place to get a warranty is location. If you have an apple store nearby then it might be better since you can stop in and get it fixed or replaced possibly the same day. Down time on a broken phone can be a significant inconvenience.

8. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

+$199 deductible on the phone, and you have the first 30 days of owning the phone to add it to it.
    \
    ST or AC+ kicks the living crap out of any mobile insurance.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Nope. It's $50. The insurer is Assurian. We used them twice with Verizon phones. We paid the 50 bucks and the new phone came very quickly. There was a package to send the old one back or pieces of the old one back if it was being replaced for severe damage rather than loss. I spoke with At&t about their version of "insurance" and the rep I spoke to said they also use Assurian and that they also charge a $50 deductible.

AC+ has a deductible for accidental damage but not for repairs which are not related to accidental damage.

I've heard iP5 is the more durable than iP4. I never needed the AC I bought with my iP4 so I might opt to save the 99 bucks and go without AC this time.

10. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Ah, I don't have AT&T, I got VZW.

Uhm, you make a great point. I do have one nearby, I guess it does make more sense to just head there instead of shipping it overnight and waiting for ~1.5 days to get it back.

Edit: Why I considered ST is because of their 3year warranty, a little more $, but it extends it a year longer than AC+.

11. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Nope? Ummmm not according to them. The iPhone is a Tier 3 device, $199 deductible.
    http://mobileprotectionpack.att.com/mobile-insurance.html

12. r0k, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You have to follow 2 links to finally get the list of devices and tiers. It says it is updated 2012 so perhaps this changed since I got insurance on my kids' iPhones. I guess it's time I call At&t and drop that feature. Thanks for pointing this out. I can only assume it went up since I talked to that person in the store or perhaps they didn't know what they were talking about. I've only replaced tier 1 devices so I never found out about the tiers.

When I had Assurian I was on Verizon. Those feature phones were some of the worst phones I ever had and in fact they were so bad, they drove us to At&t just a few months before Verizon finally got around to offering iPhones. I don't regret the move right now because I still have grandfathered $25 a month data on one line and $15 a month data on two other lines. The cheapest you can get these days is $20 a month and those share plans are a ripoff at this point because they charge $40 per line per smartphone.

Thanks for pointing this tier situation out. I know to save $7 a month on a few of my lines now. You just saved me $21 a month. I dropped that stinking insurance on the 3 lines that still had it. Everybody's phones are old and I'd just as soon buy new (subsidized) ones if they flush them down the toilet. I just ordered an iP5. I think I'll order an iP4S for my wife in the Spring unless she decides she wants the 5 by then. Then both kids will have our old 4s. If either kid loses one, they can dig up the money to replace it as they are about grown now.

13. csjo00 macrumors regular

I purchased SquareTrade, because the closest Apple store is 3 hours one way.

Also, I purchased it at Sam's Club, and was able to nab the plan that offers buyback. Buyback is for $150, although I'm sure the phone will be worth much more than that after two years.