Squaretrade Warranty - Is it really worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Seems they have changed their terms a bit. On my original 3G I was able to insure it up to the actual replacement value (less $50 deductible) for under $100 including coupons.

Recently things seem to have changed a bit and I'm wondering if the $199 "swap out" charge by Apple (water damage or broken screen) is a better value.

#1) They clearly state the (for example) 32GIG will be covered for a MAXIMUM VALUE of $499. This leaves you "in the hole" for over $420 should it need to be replaced under warranty. Since you don't have a phone to swap you will be charged the full "no contract" price for a replacement. So their $499 MINUS $50 deductible will pay you only $450 for a phone that will cost $699 + $42 (figuring avg 6%)TAX.

So here is my estimate of what you will pay out for a $699+Tax replacement under their contract:

$120 for the Square trade contract INCLUDING their 20% "discount" (you pay 2yrs up front and if you lose/reinsure the new phone it's ANOTHER $120)
    $ 50 Square Trade deductible
    $742 (figuring 6% tax) for the 32GB phone no contract w/no ATT discount
    $912 YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT to get back to where you started

-$450 from Squaretrade for their service contract ($499 - $50 deductible but NO sales tax for your repurchase)

$462 OUT OF POCKET net you have to PAY Apple/ATT to replace phone (with no discount because your upgrade time isn't here yet).

Sounds like a crappy deal to me.

2. thabends macrumors member

I agree. It is no longer a good deal. They cover $100 less than the price of a new one, minus the $50 damage deduct., minus the cost of the warranty. Then you have to buy another warranty.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The short answer: No.

I was looking at buying the warranty for my 3GS but it's just too expensive. I now "self warranty" my phone. The trick? DON'T DROP OR GET THE DARN THING WET!!!