Squaretrade warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

Hello everyone,
    I recently bought a MacBook Pro 13.3 inch and an iPhone 4. I wanted to purchase some sort of protection plan for them and after researching a little bit on the internet I decided to go with Squaretrade. A 2 year plan for the iPhone is $99 while the 3 year plan for my MacBook is $170. Both the plans cover accidental damages and repairs. I think this sounds better than AppleCare? Do any of you have experience with Squaretrade? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. gco212 macrumors 6502

I don't think it's really a good deal for the iPhone. It also requires a $50 deductable if you actually need to use it. So the cost is at least $99, and $149 if you use it. Apple will fix any out of warranty iPhone (including accidental damage) for $199. So, best case you never need to use it or the phone wasn't broken accidentally for the first year and it's zero dollars for you. Worst case, it's an extra $50 than Squaretrade. I'll keep the $99, and hope I don't screw up and break it.

If I succeed, I'm up $99. If I fail I'm out $50. Much more upside than down.

3. gco212 macrumors 6502

Wanted to add, Squaretrade has gotten good reviews around here for service. No personal experience with them though.

4. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

Ohhh..that's definitely something to consider. But would you get it for the MBP?

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Does it cover the battery? How much is AppleCare instead? Sometimes it is nice to be able to walk into a store and get help, instead of mailing it in, but that is probably a matter of taste and your distance to the nearest Apple Store.

6. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

The AppleCare warranty will cost me $183 + tax after my education discount. The Squaretrade plan is $170. As far as I know, the Squaretrade covers anything that happens to the computer (drops, spills, etc), which the APP doesn't. However, I have never had experience with Squaretrade so I don't know how dependable they are.

7. feeth macrumors 6502

Amazon sells the AC for approx $190, no tax.

I'm in the same boat as you, I was going to get AC on ebay for $100 till I found out what a scam that is. Still trying to decide.

8. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

I'm still so confused/undecided! :(