SquareTrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fusion79, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Hi all!

New iPhone owner here. I was looking for some info on insurance and came across squaretrade. They are offering a special right now of $81 for a two year iPhone warranty. I notice they even cover accidental damage. Do a lot of people here use them? Any issues with them that I should be aware of? Any better insurance programs out there. This phone just seems like an important one to insure.

Thanks

Chris

2. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

I've heard great things about them. Apparently they cover anything.

I would have gone with them for a warranty, but I'm in Australia :(.

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yes, they are great and that's about as low as the price goes. Just know that there is a $50 deductible for accidental claims. Other than that, they are well known and highly respected AFAIK.

4. Fusion79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. It just seemed like a too good to be true deal at that price considering what Verizon charges for insurance.

5. misstdiana macrumors newbie

I have the warranty, paid $99 I think. I haven't had to use them yet but I hear they are pretty awesome.

6. dino0829 macrumors member

Anybody used Entrade?

Hey everybody, got my first iPhone the other day (applause). Like a lot of you I laughed at the Verizon insurance price. Now I can't decide between Squaretrade and Ensquared (www.ensquared.com), which offers accidental AND lost/stolen for $89/year.

Anybody used Ensquared here? Do I need lost/stolen? (Leaning toward no).

7. biosci macrumors 6502a

How does it work? Do they refund you purchase price (or current value) or do you have to be out of your phone/ipad/igadget to get fixed?

8. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah, I'm curious too how this works. Say I drop my phone and smash it into pieces, what is the process for a claim?

9. tianh macrumors regular

Curious as well. Has anyone actually had their phone replaced by them? How did the process go?

10. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So even for $89, plus a $50 deductible, is it worth it? Doesn't Apple pretty much charge $200 to "fix" any issue by replacing it with a refurb? The only thing the Squaretrade would add would be loss/theft? Or am I wrong on something here?

11. benh911f macrumors 6502

I've used it a couple times for water damage. Essentially, they will have you make an appointment with the Genius Bar. If they determine it's cooked, they'll charge you the $200 and give you another phone. Make sure you ask for two receipts, one for you, one for Squaretrade. Fill out the claim online, mail in the receipt, and they'll send you a check for $150, with the other $50 being the deductible.

12. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So you really only save $61, and thats if you get the Squaretrade when its on sale.

13. benh911f macrumors 6502

Yeah you could look at it that way, but pretty much all insurance is a rip-off unless you actually use it. For $89, you're getting two years of service, and as in my example, I used it twice. So in my case I would've saved the original $61, and then $150 by them replacing the phone a second time.

14. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, if you use it, then it was worth it. Also, if it is good for 2 years, even after you replace the phone, then its even better. I figured once you got a new phone, and they paid you, then you had to buy a new plan for the new phone.

15. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I don't think (I could be wrong) Square Trade covers loss or theft. If they did, they'd be broke every time a new iPhone came out.

So, assuming that is ture, I think Square Trade is a bad deal because of the reasons you site above.

$90 plan + $50 deductible = 140 bucks + hassle of sending your phone in. I'd rather not buy anything and fork over 200 bucks IF I NEEDED TO. Why give somebody 90 bucks for something you may never use, and than cough up another 50 in case you actually need to use it?

Nah, I'll go straight to the Genius Bar and get a new whatever I have for 200 bucks. Again, ONLY IF I NEED TO.

W/ my case and screen guards, hopefully my good fortune continues.

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I thought they did, but I guess I read this post, which talks about another company: