Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Hello All,

I have just got my new 2014 15" MacBook Pro yesterday,
I have noticed the bottom case of the laptop is making some weird noises.
It happened around the area where they have printed the word "MacBook Pro"
It also feels like a soft spot of the aluminum case, which means it is kind of flexing when you're holding it next to your hip with one hand.

Is this normal ? or should I take it back to the Apple Store?

Thank You

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
There are two snaps which hold the middle of the back and prevent it from flexing. Also there is a contact brush with copper fingers that make contact between the logic board and the case bottom for shielding purposes. If the snaps are not connected and the case bottom flexes, the copper fingers can rub against it. This can cause scraping or squeaking sounds.

If you take it back to the Apple store, they will reseat the bottom. If you wish to try reconnecting the snaps yourself. Hold the closed laptop upside down with your fingers on the left and right edges. Then, press on the bottom with both thumbs at locations halfway between the front and rear of the case, and about halfway between the edges and center of the case. The back will flex down and you should hear two clicks when the snaps connect. It doesn't require a lot of pressure.

If this doesn't work, the back may be slightly out of position, or bowed. In this case take it to the Apple store. They will remove the back to reseat the snaps before replacing the screws.

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
See the following image:

For-15-Macbook-Pro-Retina-A1398-Bottom-Case-Lower-case-MC975-MC976-Year-2012-923-0090.jpg

Around the middle of the cover you will see two black clips. As the previous poster suggested, put some pressure on them and make sure they are in place.

If you happen to have a screw driver set with the pentalobe bits required to remove this bottom cover, you can attempt reseating it yourself.

I have had the best luck clipping the bottom cover in place and moving the cover around until the gap in-between the cover and the unibody is as even as possible all the way around. Then tighten the two top centre screws (Closest to the hinge) to hold the cover in place and the proceed to make your way the rest of the way around.

If you do not centre the plate properly, you can get creaking noises when you put pressure on the laptop.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.