Squeaking Sounds from 15 rMBP Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saidtezel, Dec 5, 2012.

1. saidtezel macrumors member

Hi guys,

It's been only 2 months since I got my rMBP and I've been using it on flat surfaces 99% of the time, but I've started to notice squeaking sounds coming from it. it happens when I'd push in around the trackpad area or I'd hold it up from one corner. I'm sure it's not harmful, but kinda disturbs me and sounds like a cheap laptop problem :D

Is this normal? Do you think its related to screws coming loose?

Thanks!

2. anarti macrumors regular

My wife had the same on her retina, some screws on the bottom panel were loose a bit. Go to apple store, they will tight them for you or buy phillips 0 screwdriver and do it yourself:)

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You need a Pentalobe screwdriver, not a Phillips #0.

And there's a grounding pin in the middle that causes this. I took my bottom case off, and put a tiny piece of flexible rubber on top of the middle grounding pins (it's well grounded elsewhere on the bottom, there's about 8 pins!). Voila - creaking stopped!

4. Haifisch macrumors regular

I have the same issue. It's a creaking sound when the case is pushed under the keyboard. I'm not willing to exchange because everything else is perfect. No IR, lid is tight, lid lines up perfectly with base, no lag, nearly inaudible fan......not going to play Russian Roulette to trade one minor (probably inconsequential) problem for something bigger.

Plus, mine is a CTO and I'm not waiting weeks for another.