Squeaky key

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by korbearus10, Jul 14, 2012.

1. korbearus10 macrumors member

Anybody know why a key might suddenly decide go squeaky on me? When I press on the "j" key on my rMBP, it squeaks. Initially thought there was something stuck underneath the key, but there wasn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ime-YhvQFRI

I'm gonna take it in to the Apple Store tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone had a clue why it might have suddenly started squeaking.

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Has your mouse gone missing? They sometimes squeak, so if it's hiding under your J key, that could be the cause ;)

3. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Pull the key and put a little bit of silicon grease or white lithium grease on and around the scissor mechanism. The delete key on my rmbp squeaked and rather than go deal with Apple I just pulled the key and lubricated the mechanism a little.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

5. tbn002 macrumors newbie

I had a squeaky spacebar once. It was quite annoying. When I brought it to the apple store they replaced the spacebar in 10 minutes and all was good again. :)

6. eijnaix macrumors newbie

how do u do that ?

I'm facing the exact same issue as you, squeaked delete button on my newly arrived rmbp. Super irritating, can you please explain how do i pull it out and what lubrication did you use ?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My arrow keys are squeaky. Not sure if I should bother having it fixed or not.

8. chorner macrumors member

Any info here? I've got a squeaky spacebar and would like to do it myself if I can without damaging the hinge mechanism. Just lube it up instead of the hassle of going in to the Apple store.