Squeaky Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ManBearWaffle, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I just got a 27" iMac with i5 processor yesterday. No yellow tinge :D. However, I do have one issue. My space key squeaks every time I press it. It wasn't doing this until today. Is this normal? Will it go away? Should I return it?

Thanks in advance :D

BTW, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where I should post this.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use to notice this with my MacBook Pro keyboard. I haven't noticed it in a while though. It was never that load or annoying, but did notice it from time-to-time. The squeaking could be temporary and I'm not sure if it's as loud as mine was, or it could get worse possibly. Guess it depends how much it bothers you, but as I said, mine squeaking went away.

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

It does bother me when I'm typing/coding for a long time. Does anyone else know if it goes away?

4. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

It used to happen to mine, but like AngelWatt stated, It went away after a while.

Try bringing the keyboard to a local Apple Reseller or Apple Store and see if they can reseat the spacebar for you.

Don't try to take apart the keyboard as the new aluminum keyboard is based off of laptop keyboards and the scissor stands that hold the key in place break very easily. Plus I'm sure that doing so voids your keyboard's warranty.