Squeal when using trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjones1995, Aug 30, 2014.

1. rjones1995 macrumors newbie

I have an original MBPr thats still going strong, just there is a strange high pitched squeal sort of noise when i use the trackpad that has developed in the last month or so, it still works perfectly and im not worried about it effecting the performance of the machine, im just intrigued to know if anyone else has this phenomenon happening on their machine aswell.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Mine is silent, just clicks when expected. Sure yours isn't HDD noise (crosses fingers)

3. rjones1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

It could well be but it just seems fairly consistent to making to noise as I place my fingers onto the trackpad and begin using it, it has been happening for the past week and half with no issues so like I said I'm not worried about it breaking or anything.

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

Static sound? Bring it to the gbar see what they say?

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not to make light of your problem, but when I see that headline I think, "Wow, he REALLY likes using his trackpad."

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

I use a trackpad (Magic Trackpad) for my main machine. What's the problem?
    With the multi touch surface, it is way better than what was known as a track pad.

7. rjones1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

The best way i can describe the sound is like the old dial up when connecting to the internet in the old times. Which I know sounds incredible odd and it isn't exactly like that, just similar. strange, i know
    haha, after reading this then the title i again i had a giggle

8. yangchewren macrumors regular

You may need to have the trackpad mounting screw tightened, I've not encountered this on a rMBP before but my old macbook air had a squeaky trackpad. To be precise, the sound was similar to crushing thin plastic frames found in foil wrapped cookies.

The bad news: your battery is glued on, so you'll have to send it in for servicing as the screw is inaccessible.

9. rjones1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

want to hear the strangest bit, this problem has been consistently happening everyday for the past 2 weeks. Aside from that I decided to completely reinstall OS X and start fresh, and it has completely stopped. I don't even know why

10. yangchewren macrumors regular

Maybe some physical contact (constant trackpad clicking) has loosened or shifted something by a tiny bit. That's good news to hear!

11. rjones1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps, I'm glad whatever it was seems to have subsided now though