Squeeling and hard drive noise via Line-Out port

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vroom, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Vroom macrumors newbie

I just bought a Mac Pro. I immediately installed 2 GB of RAM and four large hard drives without even booting the computer while it was stock.

Anyway, the machine is connected to JBL Creature speakers via the (analog) line-out port. However, unless I also have the headphone port connected to the speakers with a splitter, I get a really high pitched squeeling regardless of volume level. And yes, my sound preferences are set to the analog line-out setting.

Also, when I have both ports connected to the speakers and the squeeling is gone, I get hard drive read and write noise through the speakers. It's most apparent in Final Cut Pro and Motion.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping that, if it needs to be repaired, Apple will go through my local Apple-certified shop (not an actual Apple Store) instead of having to send it in.

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad Mac OS X (10.5.3) 4 GB RAM

2. FireSlash macrumors member

Remove your extra drives first. Just for ***** and giggles. See if it goes away. If it does, see if the sound is associated with a specific port on the pro, or if it's a specific drive. once you determine that, either replace the drive or call Apple.

3. Vroom thread starter macrumors newbie

That might take care of the hard drive noise, but the seemingly-unrelated squeeling leads me to believe I may have gotten a faulty sound card.

4. FireSlash macrumors member

Squealing = HDD motor. HDD access noise = Read head magnetics.