Squeezebox Boom and iTunes DRM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JML42691, Nov 30, 2008.

1. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

After first seeing a review of it in a Macworld video, and starting some research myself, I've become interested in Logitech's Squeezebox Boom and might consider it in the near future. I found this video review of it by CNET, which mentioned something regarding issues with it playing DRM protected media from iTunes. If this device is unable to play music with DRM, then I would probably not consider it, as most of my library is protected.

I was wondering if anybody here has it and can tell me if it is unable to play protected music or not? On the product's page on their site, it says that it can play back:
    ...but I am not entirely sure what is meant by this.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The SBB will not play back DRM'd files. Your iTunes Protected (but not Purchased, which are unDRM'd 256K AACs) tracks are SOL.

3. cmooreou macrumors member

burn your purchased songs to a cd, then put the songs back on your computer from the burnt disk, and no more drm :D

4. JML42691 thread starter macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would, but my purchased songs are in the hundreds, so that may take a while (figuring I could probably only fit about 10-15 songs a cd). I have heard of one thing that you download that removes the DRM from your library, but it appears the latest version of iTunes (8.0.2) disabled it, so I guess I'm out of luck for now. And this is why I hate DRM, it hurts the people that are doing things legally, while doing very little to those who are doing things illegally.