Squirrel goes thump

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Aug 3, 2009.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So I was walking through Central Park today enjoying some quite nice weather and no shortage of sundresses [​IMG], when something caught my eye and immediately made a very loud, muffled thump. It was a squirrel that had fallen from a tree. It immediately jumped up and ran back towards the tree but was having some kind of momentary spazzes that caused it to bug out and fly off the tree, then run back to the tree and repeat. One of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time. It eventually went up the tree seemingly unhurt. Another random guy walking by noticed too and we agreed that it was very odd.

Anyone else ever see a squirrel fall out of a tree?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Twice. One time it almost landed on my daughter. Another time it landed on the street in front of our porch, and we watched it lay there for half an hour before it jumped up, shook itself out, and hopped away.

I think they're clumsier than you'd think.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've seen it a few times, usually because they're harassing a bird and the bird scares them or knocks them out of the tree somehow. It is pretty odd to see though, I agree with you.

4. brax.j macrumors regular

I was driving through some sides streets in Portland, OR and a squirrel randomly fell out of a tree in front of the car it got up a few seconds later and ran away but looked like it had had way to much to drink.

5. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Shout out!

I've seen a drunk guy fall out of a tree, but that's about as close as I get...

7. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

It happened to me once. I was walking pat a tree and I hear a thump beside me, I looked down and saw a squirrel twitching. I pointed it out to my friend, we laughed hysterically for about 5 minutes and then left.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I saw it happen on a golf course once - two squirrels were chasing each other in a tree, when the leader jumped from one branch to another. The follower jumped, but didn't stick the landing. It fell a good 18-20 feet or so, shook its head, and scampered right back up the tree as though nothing had happened.

Resilient little goobers. :cool:

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The squirrels on the campus of my alma mater have become so used to humans that they will actively charge people walking across the quad. It's quite funny to see the unprepared person freak and dash because of a kamikaze squirrel.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- I've seen it a few times. They seem to be just fine when it happens.

11. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

i saw a squirrel laying dead on the road with its eyes popped out from a tree fall. it was gross and has stuck with me:(

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

13. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

It was acting quite a bit like the squirrel in that video (hilarious by the way)...though perhaps a little more hyperactive. Maybe he had a vodka redbull? ;)