Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Yes and given the V8 license Safari could pickup V8.

Personally I expect V8 and SFX to share ideas over time possibly ending up with a single JS engine in the WebKit domain. Chrome has unique-ish operational model that makes V8 a better pick for them at this time.

Well competition always helps, but I would like to see things shake out in such a way that there are really only 3-4 browsers to test on. 3 browsers, 3 platforms to test on (sorta, FF on all 3, Safari on 2, Chrome on 3 eventually, etc), its a lot of VMs...

Nov 6, 2007
Funny Name

SquirrelFish is such a funny name.....

Bench marks look good. Can always use a faster web browser. and Java Script is pretty much used almost everywhere now....

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Are any of the builds stable and safe enough to use, or should we just see as this good news for when it goes gold master and gets integrated into safari...likely a year from now

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Are any of the builds stable and safe enough to use, or should we just see as this good news for when it goes gold master and gets integrated into safari...likely a year from now

I generally use Webkit nightly builds everyday and very rarely experience a crash so yes it is stable enough to use as a browser.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

As xUKHCx said, the nightly builds are generally stable enough to use as a browser. I've used nightly builds of Webkit as my main browser for months and it has been at least as stable as Leopard's Safari.

On OS X you can run the nightly build while still keeping the normal Safari, not sure about Windows.

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
This is good news. I wish they'd put Safari 4 out a little faster though.. To me, it's something that should have come with 10.5.5.. but what can you do I guess.

And what's with people rating this negatively? What is negative about performance enhancements? I don't get it. Like, there could be a story on here "Steve Jobs to give every Apple customer that has ever existed a $1000.00 iTunes gift card as a huge thank you for their recent success" .. the rating would be something like, 1005 positive, 13 negative... I don't get why people click negative sometimes lol.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Great! Now if only Apple could make a browser that doesn't crash 10 times a day (20 times a day on the iPhone).

This seems to vary considerably person by person.

I use Safari/Webkit on Leopard for hours every day at home, and rarely if ever have a crash. More often with Webkit than actual Safari...

I use Safari on Vista all day long at work, and it never crashes on me either...

Now Safari on the iPhone DOES crash once in a while...

Maybe I am just lucky?

Aegaeon

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
Great! Now if only Apple could make a browser that doesn't crash 10 times a day (20 times a day on the iPhone).

What the heck do you do with Safari to make it crash 10 times a day? I use Webkit, (which should be less stable than the released version of Safari) and it hasn't even crashed on me once. Same goes with the actual released version of Safari 3. The Safari on my iPhone 3G has never crashed either. I use all three (WebKit primarily) for quite heavy tasks as well, not just the simple loading up of HTML pages.

I have no idea what you're doing to make it crash that often, but thats seriously never happened to me.

The browser that does crash like 20 times on me however...is Shiira. Excellent potential, sad direction. What can I say. :S.

zzebi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Yay!

Faster JavaScript is awesome.

JavaScript is a really cool technology. This is the main engine under web applications. By making it this fast, it will basically be possible to implement almost any standard desktop applications within the web browser without using any Flash or Java or other external, plug-in based technologies.
I'm really hoping for even more HTML5 features to come soon. Those features will kill the need for Flash and Java in most applications very soon. Finally we will have a much more consistent and cross-platform application programing environment than today.

At the moment the most sophisticated mainstream web applications are coming from Google (Maps, Docs, Mail, etc) and Apple (Mobile Me). In the future these applications (and the hundreds of others to come) will have the same feature set and speed as the native desktop applications.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Finally we will have a much more consistent and cross-platform application programing environment than today.

Brrrr, you make me shiver. How can you even talk about "application" programming environment? It's JavaScript, its a Scripting-Language! Any use of it to create something like an application is an abuse. And "consistent" is anything else than what I expect from a script overriding every preference on my computer on how to use the human interface.

Well, there speaks the ingenieur, but I know, the whole world jumps on board... Its a hype, we'll see how this all ends.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I guess Safari really will get faster once this makes it into the update.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
ok, so i just dl'd the latest webkit sep. 19, and it is way snappier than firefox. dont know if it includes squirrelfish extreme or not, but it is definitely faster than safari of firefox.

my question is how long until we see this on the iphone or as a release into safari?

milatchi

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Apple should just buy "SquirrelFish Extreme" like they bought NeXT and OPENSTEP, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, and CUPS.

If they own "SquirrelFish Extreme" they can build an even better Safari to beat Mozilla and Microsoft in the browser market and have 90% market share instead of 50%.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
We already knew Safari was the fastest with Javascript, now it'll just put that much space between it and other browsers.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Apple should just buy "SquirrelFish Extreme" like they bought NeXT and OPENSTEP, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, and CUPS.

If they own "SquirrelFish Extreme" they can build an even better Safari to beat Mozilla and Microsoft in the browser market and have 90% market share instead of 50%.
This is basically Apple's product... it is part of the WebKit project and a majority of those folks are Apple employees.

SFX is already in WebKit nightly builds which are basically Safari with an upgraded WebKit and expect it soon in Safari 4.0.

zzebi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Brrrr, you make me shiver. How can you even talk about "application" programming environment? It's JavaScript, its a Scripting-Language! Any use of it to create something like an application is an abuse. And "consistent" is anything else than what I expect from a script overriding every preference on my computer on how to use the human interface.

Well, there speaks the ingenieur, but I know, the whole world jumps on board... Its a hype, we'll see how this all ends.

Well, you are wrong. It would indeed be possible to implement office applications like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. in the browser window using
only JavaScript/AJAX, CSS, HTML DOM, without any plug-ins. They would look and work exactly like those, and with a fast enough JS engine they would be as fast as the native counterparts. We might need some more improvements in HTML5 and AJAX, but they are all coming soon.
In fact some web applications would even be faster than the native applications because by using AJAX the server side computational power adds up to the client's performance.

What would we gain with all this? Ultimate platform independence. Reduced client side hardware cost. Improved security.
I said "would" but in fact I should have written "will". Because this is the future for sure. Even MS is starting to get into the web application business.

Surprisingly, even gaming is not out of question in the future of web applications. I'm not talking about the latest 3D rendering engines per se, but most simpler games that don't have such high performance needs can be easily implemented once SVG or CANVAS 3D gets properly implemented in HTML5.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
JavaScript is a really cool technology. This is the main engine under web applications.

Let's rather say that JavaScript is an inadequate (and ill-named) technology that after enough efforts at fitting squares into circles managed to be used for something it was never intended for. Same with HTML.
Which means that most of the web of today is built on a huge mess of technologies that have been contorted out of their original use. AJAX is a prime example of this. It works, but it's messy. And it's also exceedingly difficult to find decent AJAX developers.

By making it this fast, it will basically be possible to implement almost any standard desktop applications within the web browser without using any Flash or Java or other external, plug-in based technologies.

The problem is that Flash *is* meant for the modern web. ActionScript is what JavaScript should be if it was allowed to mature - still not a great language, but almost good enough for the job. Likewise, technologies like Flex, or even SilverLight, are well suited for the web as it is today.

By making JavaScript fast, we're just making the agony last longer... Some languages, like COBOL, should just let be left to rest. Javascript manages to be as messy as the worst script languages while at the same time managing to be as poor as the most limited compilated languages...

In the future these applications (and the hundreds of others to come) will have the same feature set and speed as the native desktop applications.

They will also be a lot more difficult to maintain, expand or even work on...

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
What I'm doing to make it crash? Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:
Well what are YOU doing when it crashes? I see a total of 3 Safari crash logs on my system in 2 years of use on this system. With an addition 4 crash logs related to the developer preview of Safari 4.0 (aka beta quality software, expected to have issues).

cyberakuma

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Anyone know if this is an Intel only technology?

You do realize that ppc, at best, can expect to only have compatibility maintained going forward? I mean, no matter what, its still an order of magnitude slower than the machines being sold today, and as far as a time investment is a total dead-end.

That said, I expect them to also support some of these techniques on the ARM, based on memory/speed trade-offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.