Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsheli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey guys,
I just got a new macbook pro (first mac) and whenever I move it, it will wake up. For example if I close the lid, the computer starts to breath, then when I pick it up to put it into its bag the apple logo lights up and the super drive makes the eject noise? Should I exchange it?
David

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Hey guys,
I just got a new macbook pro (first mac) and whenever I move it, it will wake up. For example if I close the lid, the computer starts to breath, then when I pick it up to put it into its bag the apple logo lights up and the super drive makes the eject noise? Should I exchange it?
David

That does not sound right to me. The fact that the superdrive is trying to eject, for whatever reason, the system is registering a keypress on the eject button. Can you see any problems with the keyboard alignment? Did you buy online or instore? If in-store, then definately go for an exchange with a visit to the genius bar. If online, I wonder if you can still have a genius look at it an diagnose it for you and then call Apple.

Good luck!

jettoblack

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
Hey guys,
David

It has happened a couple times to me. If the system is asleep and I pick it up or move my bag around, it will wake up briefly. The optical drive clicks and the hard drive chugs a bit before it goes back to sleep. If thats all it is then I don't mind, but I'm worried it will wake up someday and start overheating in my bag instead of going back to sleep. I have also on at least one occasion been unable to wake it from sleep at all and had to hard restart. Everything else is perfect which makes me reluctant to bring it in and have them break something else...:(

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Hmmm, this happens with my 2.2 MBP as well. Initially I thought it was something to do with the "accelerometer" taking note that I was moving it in its sleep... But is this really a defect?? That's terrible news for me since mine is CTO (damn 40GB larger HDD)

Also, I've had the unable to wake from sleep quite a few times but usually if I just keep opening and closing the lid and waiting a couple minutes between doing so it'll come back eventually. I hope this is at least an OS problem.

TilJ

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
My SR2.4 sometimes wakes from sleep when I pick it up by "squeezing" it rather than lifting it horizontally from the bottom. I just assumed that there was enough flex to allow a key to get pressed somehow.

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
I fixed the issue!

Actually, I found a very good bypass for the issue in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/209362/

The jist of it is that you can do the following and the MBP with still go to sleep when you close the lid but will not wake until you press a button:

chairguru22 said:
"Disable waking up from sleep mode when lid opens:
Terminal (Applications > Utilties)
OFF: sudo pmset -a lidwake 0
ON : sudo pmset -a lidwake 1"

Infinity

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
Perth, Australia
That does not sound right to me. The fact that the superdrive is trying to eject, for whatever reason, the system is registering a keypress on the eject button. Can you see any problems with the keyboard alignment? Did you buy online or instore? If in-store, then definately go for an exchange with a visit to the genius bar. If online, I wonder if you can still have a genius look at it an diagnose it for you and then call Apple.

Good luck!

Doesn't the Superdrive make a sound/media check when woken from sleep anyway? So that part seems to be within normal operation...Seems to me that the mechanism for waking the computer when moved would have something to do with a faulty/over-sensitive latch?? Just a thought.

Regardless, I probalby wouldn't tolerate that and a simple workaround fix for me wouldn't suffice. I'd have it checked out since it is still new.

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Doesn't the Superdrive make a sound/media check when woken from sleep anyway? So that part seems to be within normal operation...Seems to me that the mechanism for waking the computer when moved would have something to do with a faulty/over-sensitive latch?? Just a thought.
Yup. That appears to be the problem. At least it was for me.

Regardless, I probably wouldn't tolerate that and a simple workaround fix for me wouldn't suffice. I'd have it checked out since it is still new.
Honestly with all the faulty Macbooks being pumped out I'd be more than happy for a simple "fix" than exchange an otherwise fine Macbook for one with either a yellow screen, flickering screen, terrible heating issues, kernal panic issues etc... Plus if you have a CTO you don't really have a choice, and with all the horror stories I've heard from apple "repairing" slight defects in their products there's no way in hell I'm letting them touch my Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.