SR 2.2 MB vs. 2.16 GHz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DMC-12, Nov 12, 2007.

1. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I thought I'd seen a similar post a while ago, but I couldn't dig it up with a search...

So I've been waiting to buy a Mac for almost 2 years. Originally, I wanted a MBP, but after considering almost every possible decision, the new SR MacBooks have inspired me to pull the trigger somehow.

I was going to just go for the white 2.2 SR MacBook, but then the case chipping/cracking issue really started bothering me. I never had too much of a problem with the 13.3-inch screen, but then the glossiness REALLY started to turn me off once I realized that I was actually about to buy the MB. The matte screen MBP option is starting to become a deal breaker for me-- is that stupid? I seem to get a lot of eye strain on my glossy HP laptop, but some people say that Apple's glossy screens are somehow "different."

So I can't decide between the brand new SR MB ($1,200) or a matte, 2.16 C2D MBP from the refurb store ($1,500). I'd like to be able to at least have the option of installing 'Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway' with boot camp, and I guess that's pretty much out of the question, in terms of performance, with the x3100?

Ahhhh, I'd also like to save a little money with the MB in order to better justify getting an iPod touch on the side. I don't know if it's wiser to save the money on the newer machine (MB) or to have a computer that might serve me better in the long run (refurb MBP).

Sorry for the trouble, but thanks in advance for any advice.

2. parpart33 macrumors newbie

parpart33

After owning first a 2GHz BlackBook, and then a 2.2GHz MBP, I'm now using a 2.2GHz MacBook. I know three Apples in less than 4 months shows my devotion (stupidity) to keeping up with Apple's updates. After going back to the MacBook, I realized how amazing of a machine it really is for the price. As far as glossy vs. matte goes, it's all personal preference, but I can tell you from experience, the only time that I noticed a difference was when I was outside on a sunny day. Otherwise, as far as Apple notebooks go in my opinion, there is virtually no difference. In fact, when I pop in a DVD at night I prefer the glossy over the matte screen. If I were you I'd go with the MacBook, I have 4GB on the way and think that I am finally falling into my perfect Apple. :D (Not that the other two weren't amazing machines either) If you wanna play games, take that money you save and go buy a XBOX 360 or a PS3. Just a few thoughts, good luck on your purchase... :)

3. TopRawman macrumors newbie

TopRawman

Whatever you choose, remember this: "For products purchased between October 31, 2007 - December 24, 2007, you may request an RMA by January 8, 2008." - Return and Refund Policy.

You get a little more time to make sure you get the right Book for your application, but of course you still get dinged 10% restocking fee.

If I had a choice between the two, I'd say refurb 2.16 MBP. Better graphics and better case. Why not a refurb 2.2 MBP (SR chipset, nVidia, LED display, more RAM)?

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I know its such a hard decision... Im right there with ya man...:confused:

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Out of curiosity, why is it allowed to return the notebooks for such a long time?

6. je1ani macrumors 6502

Maybe Holiday season? People will buy a gift early to meet christmas time and keep it longer than the 14 days...

7. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

It's a tough decision...but a good problem to have ! ;) I faced the same and went with a MacBook myself. As far as glossy vs matte....I've had both and prefer the glossy. Again - preference. My only advice - don't sit on the sidelines forever. Once you make a decision, enjoy and don't look back !

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Do not worry about these "chipping/cracking" issues. I will bet money say you order your Macbook today, it will not have that issue. But hey I purchased the 2.2ghz Macbook Pro because I love matted screens and I do not like the small 13" glossy screen. It is not "stupid" it is what you want. Nothing wrong with more screen real estate.

9. DMC-12 thread starter macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I still firmly believe that the chipping/cracking is an inevitable flaw inherent in the MacBook case design. The top case plastic is simply too thin at the front lip to not crack one day, and even though Apple will fix it within the warranty, a new casing will be just a inevitably flawed. (Anyone know if the replacement/new MB casings have been reinforced somehow?)

I think that the only people who have not gotten a crack in the casing are the ones who barely use their MB or who close the lid extremely careful 100% of the time. I am extremely careful with my things, but I am convinced that closing the screen too hard more than a handful of times will ensure the cracking issue above the magnets on the palm rest. Every friend of mine that has a MacBook, except for the recent buyers, have had an identical crack above the right magnet latch.

I don't buy the argument that the issue only looks so widespread because of the tendency for only the people who have the cracking to report it on forums like these. How could so many identical cracks that occur seemingly throughout the revisions be just the result of a minority of MBs??? It seems that many, many MB owners are otherwise happy with their machines, like my friends, but then when you ask them about the issue or they see a forum about it, it's always the same, "Oh yeah... I did get that one crack by the magnet..."

I'm almost ready to just settle for the glossy MB screen and get an external monitor for desk use. I've realized that the problem is that I want the value and looks of the MB equally as much as I want the peace of mind of the MBP.

Thanks again for all the input. Please elaborate on the apparent inevitability of the cracking issue, because everyone pretty much avoids the issue and says that it's only a rarity.

10. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have a BlackBook C2D 2.0GHz, I have had it since May and I haven't had any issues. I love the glossy screen, 2GB of ram is plenty fast, and I haven't cracked the casing yet. I use it alot, probably 5 hours or more a day, and I am not abusive towards it but I am not extremely careful with it.

I do quite a bit of photo editing, using iPhoto or Lightroom, sometimes Elements, and it is plenty fast for me.....

11. TopRawman macrumors newbie

TopRawman

That gives people like me, who'd like to buy themselves an early gift, make sure I pick the right machine :). I've been back and forth between waiting for January or getting a refurb MBP 2.2 or 2.16 now. If I do pick up a refurb MBP I atleast have until early January to try it out, and hopefully by then more info will leak about a possible MBP update. Then I can decide if the refurb MBP is right for me or return it and spend the extra dough on the next MBP.

I'm not sure how soon cracking issues occur in MB's but I'm assuming that if you got a MB today, you'd be well past the return policy date before you notice any cracks. But you sure can test drive that MB until Jan 8!