SR Blackbook Hotkeys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SleezyC, Dec 12, 2007.

1. SleezyC macrumors newbie

Hi there,

New to the forums, and complete noob to Mac. I've been lurking the forums the past week and all the info I found out here helped me make my final decision. I ended up buying a new 2.2 SR Blackbook this morning and only had about an hour to play with it before having to run to work.

I see in Tiger that F12 brought up the dashboard, I tried to change the hotkey from the default (which I believe was F7) to a blank function key but it wouldn't allow me..

Edit: I'm currently running Leopard

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any input!

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. :)

I don't completely understand your question. Are you wanting to turn off the advanced control options (display brightness, volume control, dashboard, etc) and just use the top row of keys as normal function keys?

If so, you can go to the Keyboard & Mouse system preference and check the option labeled "Use all F1, F2, ... keys as standard function keys."

If you only want to reassign what particular keys do, go to the Keyboard Shortcuts page in Keyboard & Mouse system preference.

Does this help?

3. SleezyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I reread my question and it's so off. hah.

I went through the hotkeys when I first booted up the machine and it shows the Dashboard as being tied to F7 (Close to that), but when I press F7 it mutes it. I was trying to change the key for the dashboard to come up but it somehow wasn't letting me.

I'm off work in an hour and I'll try it again, I'll post my results.

Thanks for the welcome :p

4. amrk47 macrumors regular

why do people with black macbooks call them "blackbooks"?
    its really annoying

i dont see white macbook users calling their computers whitebooks

5. SleezyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the contribution. :rolleyes:

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It shows that they paid the black tax which makes them :cool:

Really though blackbooks doesn't sound that far from macbooks and if you are telling someone you got a black macbook you can see how the term blackbook was formed.

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

that sounds about right

8. MacGuyver macrumors member

Maybe it's cuz Black rhymes with Mac..

I personally call the White ones WackBooks... but I have a BlackBook.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

It sounds so racist.... :D

Congrats on your purchase.

I have a SR MacBook (it's white though, so I'm not as :cool:??), and the Hot Keys are printed on the 'F' buttons. Dashboard is F4. Play/pause is F8. etc.
    There are only two blank keys: F5 and F6. I assigned Spaces to one and Expose Clear-Screen to the other.
    Why do you want to disable all of your HotKeys?
    If you want to use them as standard function keys, all you have to do is go to System Preferences->Keyboard-> and check the 'Use all F1, F2, etc' option in the 'Keyboard' tab.
    Is that what you were asking?

/I think that the black MacBook looks weird. MacBooks should be white. Just my opinion. I guess I'm just used to years of iBook usage.