SR MacBook vs. Current MBP (Refurb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mistershark, May 6, 2007.

  1. Mistershark macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    #1
    Overview:
    After hearing so much about Santa Rosa, I am starting to wonder whether it would be wise in the future to get a new, Santa Rosa MacBook (Black), or a Current MacBook Pro Refurb (to purchase when the MBP's are updated). I won't be able to spend more than $1700. (I know it's a little early to decide between an existing product and something that isn't even confirmed to be released, but I want to be able to pounce on a MBP refurb -as soon as they are discounted-, if that's my best option.)

    Uses:
    I will mainly be using this computer for Video Editing, although Final Cut Studio (or Final Cut Pro by itself) may be too advanced for me. I have been looking at Final Cut Express on the MacBook and have heard that it runs perfectly, but only with 2 gigs of RAM. If I do go more advanced later on, I would like to have the option of Final Cut Studio.

    EDIT
    I'm not much of a hardcore gamer. Although it would be nice to have the option to play fairly graphic intensive games(I know, complete contradiction of adjectives) once in a while.

    Warranty:
    I want to keep this computer for at least three years. Is it worth it to get the extended warranty? I understand it is possible to buy the extended warranty anytime within the Manufacturer's Warranty. The extra hundred bucks I would have to fork over for the MBP would delay getting any Final Cut Software. Video is more of a hobby than anything right now, though, so a delay wouldn't hurt too much.

    Well, Anyway:
    This will be my first Mac and my first notebook. I have done my research, but I still can't decide. Will the Santa Rosa VRAM be enough for the MacBook to run Final Cut Studio? Is the current Macbook Pro just too good a computer to pass up? Any thoughts?
     
  2. juanster macrumors 68020

    juanster

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    toronto
    #2
    i think the best thing would be to wait until SR is out and then compare...IMO :)
     
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #3
  4. Mistershark thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    #4
    Yes I have seen that before, but this makes me anxious:

    "All of the tests were rendering tests, which, of course, doesn't tell the whole story."

    I might be latching on to a small issue, but what exactly is the whole story?
     
  5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

    CRAZYBUBBA

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto/Houston
    #5
    If you're doing video, wait for sr. larger l2 cache.. and maybe a better v card?
     

Share This Page