SR Macbooks - better for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Nov 29, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I am curious as to what extra gaming power the new integrated graphics chip in the SR Macbooks provides? Especially, does the new SR MB allow you to (just about) play games that were previously unplayable on the old macbooks? As the amount of integrated memory has more than doubled right?

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

3. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Depends, the 2.2 comes with only 128 video ram, while the 2.4 comes with 256, but with a higher price point. I have the MBP 15' SR 2.4, and it is alright for gaming, at least with Bootcamp...

4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

He's talking about MacBooks, not MBPs. :)

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Crud! I didn't catch that. Then in that regard with the MB, I do not own a MB, but from the fact that its using an integrated chipset still...it will not run games (especially recent ones) well or at all. I would get something with a discrete graphics.

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Please allow this assesment to be made by owners of these macbooks.

OP: Look in the mac games part of this forum. You answers are there if tou can't find it run a search within the forum for x3100

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Honestly, not a whole lot. The X3100 is, honestly, crap. IGP's from other vendors are practically impossible to come by with Intel chipsets attached. So the X3100 is what has to be delt with.

Now, this isn't to say that all games wont run, it is just to say that you won't get PS3 or 360 (or even wii) level graphics for most recent games. Older games will probably run with all settings up just fine. Of course if image quality isn't important *shudder*, then don't worry about it and plug away with whatever game you are trying to play.

8. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I have previously owned a laptop with integrated graphics. It might of not been the chipset in the MB, but I can still surmise from the general pattern of integrated graphics, that they are not designed for heavy gaming. It is more reasonable to go with a laptop/computer that has a discrete graphics for better performance in the first place.