SR Macbooks do seem to have washed out screens...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iViking, Nov 7, 2007.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

I have to agree with some other posters on here that the new SR Macbooks seem to have more washed out screens than their predecessors, (I've owned several of them).

At least the 3 that I saw today in the Apple store seemed more washed out. Maybe it was the bright lights in the Apple store, or the fact that I looked at the insanely bright 24" iMac first.

What does everyone else think?

Did they change the display vendor in the macbooks?

I'm not really complaining, just surprised. It helped me justify a new MBP over the new MB.

2. mshepherd macrumors regular

i just went from a macbook pro to the new macbook sr and i like the screen better than on my pro.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

4. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you use the Spyder software?

5. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you have the yellowing?

Don't you miss the resolution, not to mention the screen real estate?
    I can understand upgrading to the MBP, but downgrading to the MB seems harsh!
    Do you do any photo or video editing?

6. jblock macrumors regular

I've had the a new SR Macbook for a couple of days now. The first day it seemed like the screen was a bit more washed out than my original Macbook, but it's definitely brighter. I'm used to it now. It seems as though the new screen is more sensitive to the angle, which if too high or low makes it seem like it's washed out. I've tried calibrating the screen five times using the internal software and it's always ends up worse than the stock calibration so I'm just sticking with that.

7. twinsdad macrumors member

Glad to see there is someone else like me. I like the screen far better on my new SR macbook. Battery life seems to be a lot better as well and I much prefer the smaller size since I take my notebook everywhere. One thing I do not like is the sharp edges around the macbook. It's not a factor when using the macbook on my lap but when it's on a table, keeping my wrists elevated is more difficult. The only amenity i miss is the backlit keyboard.

8. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

That is reassuring, I'm going to get a Macbook once my RMA for my Macbook pro comes through, I'm sick of the yellow screen lottery.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

So do I, Much better!
    Its battery last sooooo much longer then any of my previous macbooks...

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I used SuperCal, but ended up using a profile someone posted here (which I believe is also SuperCal made).

11. sevans31 macrumors newbie

I agree that the screen is sensitive to angle. I'm new to notebooks and Mac, just picked up my Macbook the other day.

I have a question that maybe someone can help out with regarding this topic. If on my lap, the optimum screen (contrast?) is if its tilted back all the way and then tilted even more (entire laptop). Maybe because I'm tall or something. Is there some kind of setting where I can make it so that the optimum brightness/contrast is at a different angle? This is hard to describe but I gave it my best shot.