SR MB and a 23" screen instead of MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iViking, Nov 9, 2007.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

My friend likes the portability of the MB more than the MBP but wants to do a lot of Final Cut Pro work and CS3 work, so she needs a bigger screen, anyway.

Would a new 2.2 SR MB with 4 Gs ram and a 23" HD screen be a good alternative to a MBP?

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

from what you want to do with the laptop i think your friend would be much happier with the performance of the mbp vs the mb. i just think the mbp will handle everything you want with ease where as you might see some sluggishness(?) with the mb even though it is a great machine with the updates

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

For final cut pro your best bet would be the macbook pro mainly because of the dedicated graphics chip.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

don't get the macbook for those purposes! seriously. this is like asking "should i get a cat and a bird or a dog?" they have very different purposes. MBP definitely the way to go here, sounds like you'll still need the external display for those softwares.

5. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you're saying, but since CS3 and Final Cut Pro supposedly don't rely too much on the graphics processor as they do on the main processor, then why wouldn't a macbook with 4 Gs ram be as good as a mbp with 2 Gs ram, considering that either one of them would be hooked up to a 23" display?

If she gets the MBP, she can't get the 23" display.

So the real question is:

1) 2.2 MB with 4 Gs ram and 23" HD display

or

2) 2.2 MBP with 2 Gs ram and no external display...

for editing in FCP and CS3...

Anyone want to change their answers?

6. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Get the MBP. You can get another screen later.

7. vm7118 macrumors regular

i agree with sticking with the MBP. and either way, get the minimum amount of RAM it can be configured with. many times cheaper to buy some crucial online and put it in yourself.

8. AustinDing macrumors newbie

It's impossible and unnecessary for a notebook to have an horrible 23.3" screen
    I think it's better for her to get a mbp and a mac pro

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Well, with the new MB updates it makes it a kinda hard decision. Before the updates I would have advised not even to think about it and go with the pro, but now it's a bit harder to decide. I still say get the mbp but get the ram from elsewhere...I think the ram apple sends you is gold plated or something.

10. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hey there,
    Yes it's true, the macbookpro has better graphics, etc. However, i have a friend with a blackbook (not even SR) and he's never had any problem using final cut pro, and he uses it daily...
    So it is possible