SR MBP 64 bit Vista Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wasabi612, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wasabi612 macrumors newbie

has anyone ran a 64 bit copy of vista with boot camp on the new MBP? I am gonna purchase vista fairly soon and i need to know if i should utilize the 64 bit techonolgy. If so what is the benefit of using a 64 bit copy over a 32 bit copy? i know boot camp only supports 32 but i have heard of people using 64 bit copies.

2. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

I would say you probably do not want to run the 64bit version of Vista, whether it be on a macbook or a PC. Reasons are 64 bit support is severely lacking from most vendors and you will have a heck of a time trying to find software for it. On my PCs I have removed all 64bit versions in favor of the x32 which is much better suported. However even Vista 32 bit does not have very much software available for it right now. You would be surprised to learn just how slow the industry is towards Vista.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

The only issue is drivers. Software doesn't matter. x86 software runs just fine plus you can take advantage of x86_64 apps that exist. If you have all the drivers you need - such to say if apple releases signed drivers for the hardware - there is no reason not to go with 64-bit Vista.

4. brewno macrumors 6502

If you're using more than 3Gb of RAM, only the 64-bit will take advantage of it; 32-bit versions only see up to 3 Gb of RAM.
    64-bit OS absolutely essential if you run applications that need to use more than 2 GB of memory (but I really don't think that's the case)... so I'd say, go 32-bit, unless you're getting the MBP with 4Gb of RAM ;)

5. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

I have to disagree with you on this as drivers are only part of the equation. X64 of which I had been testing with prior to even the XP Pro x64 release, does not have hardly any x64 native apps for it. Yes you can run many x32 apps under x64 but they run in emulation via WOW emulator, and they MUST be apps that do not require low level kernel access. This means anti-virus apps, cd / dvd burning apps, many games, etc. Including some Adobe and Roxio products that most of the population runs. I am also a beta tester for many of the big software companies so I am quite familiar with the current limitations under x64. I wish it was different but it isn't and until software companies start producing native x64 apps then I can tell you it is going to give you constant headaches.

Now of course I am referring to running a x64 MS OS whether natively on a PC or under bootcamp. I am not personally familiar with using bootcamp as I am new to Apple but unless it can magically re-code MS's OS kernel & need for native x64 apps, well then I suspect it will be the same story and running natively.

In the end if you don't believe me, just give it a try for yourself and let us know the results. I will bet money you will be wiping the x64 in favor of x32 in no time flat.

6. mags631 Guest

So if I happen to have 4GB of RAM installed, will there be problems with Vista x32, or will it do the right thing and only recognize the 3GB?

7. Episteme macrumors regular

I've never played with Vista on such a system, but in the case of XP it works fine. How much is recognized varies by machine but 3.2-3.3GB is pretty common.

The /3GB switch in the boot menu is very useful. I'm not sure if this applies to Vista - I've not had to work with MS kit much in the last couple of years.

See here for more details of the switch.

8. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

Under x64, 128 GB of RAM is the maximum supported physical limit but you will find no hardware right now to do this even if you could afford it

32-bit Windows Vista supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. However, all 32bit OS's including Vista, are unable to fully use all 4Gb of RAM. It'll see the 4GB just fine, but only actually use maybe around 3.5ish GB depending on your particular hardware configuration. It won't cause any problems though. You actually lose some additional RAM, because the mainboard and certain system processes reserve some RAM. This amount of lost RAM can not be precisely specified and is different from system to system. Usually you will have approximately 3.5 - 3.8GB of useable RAM when you have 4GB installed.

Again It won't cause any problems at all. In the end I would ask yourself, why do you currently need or require 4GB of ram or Vista x64 for that matter? Vista x64 will be much nicer to run in the future when there are natively compiled x64 apps available and the ram technology and costs become a bit more favorable then they are right now.

9. mags631 Guest

In summary, I'm not giving up much by installing Vista x32... ok. I think I can give up 0.5 - 0.2 MB of RAM for stability and better support.

Cheers!

10. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

I think thats a wise choice and you will have so much better support with more options for running native software under x32.

Good luck with it.

11. wasabi612 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks a lot i will be purchasing the 32 bit version.

12. Scaryclouds macrumors newbie

Damn I should have bought 32 bit Vista :/ Oh well when 64 bits becomes the norm I'll be laughing at you HAHAHAHAHA!!!

13. Fayler macrumors regular

Fayler

Since this seems like a good place to post it, What about installing a 64 bit version of XP onto my mac? Would I have the same problems?

14. Episteme macrumors regular

Yup, same problems. Major lack of drivers, some software compatibility issues, a dearth of 64bit "native" software.

15. deadsenator macrumors newbie

I think you are painting with too negative of a brush here. Let me give you my perspective from being a longtime x64 user/admin.

As far as peeceez go, I run nearly all my systems (~12 or so) with the x64 version of XP/2003 (except for the PPC Macs, natch). ~Rare~ are the apps that won't work. It is not uncommon to have a troublesome driver, but this can sometimes be overcome. One can also flex towards hardware that has x64 support in the first place and thereby avoid any issues. I use 64-bit versions of software whenever possible and am not too terribly disappointed with the results.

I do netgaming, fileserving, everything audio/video, image editing and a whole host of things on SMP systems that have 4, 6 and 8GB of RAM. I can sometimes stack several memory-hungry apps in memory and then load up Photoshop with a pile of images and the O/S handles it with ease. Multiple CPU's help, too. Additionally, my systems rarely (if ever) crash under x64. It is a far more stable O/S environment. This alone sells the O/S to me.

What I am saying is: don't pooh-pooh the 64-bit environment too much. If someone thinks they may have a need for it, then go for it. If they know they won't then don't bother. Don't do it for the glitz of 64-bit, since, as you say, it is not an effortless venture, but it certainly ~can~ be done. That said, I'd like for more people to pine for it vocally to nudge the vendors more. Here, like this:

I would really like to see 64-bit support for Bootcamp.

My $0.02

DS

16. WindowsOrMac macrumors newbie

17. jdaco6 macrumors regular

I have already done a thread on this; the new Macbook Pros now support Vista 64-bit and i installed Vista 64-bit with ease with the drivers provided on the Macbook Pro disks that came with the system. There were no driver errors, everything installed fine and everything works out of the box.

Hope that helps

18. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

so aside from recognizing the 4gb of ram on the mbp, what are other advantages of the 64 bit?, I just plan to use my comp for graphics, school web design.

19. jdaco6 macrumors regular

If you are talking about the diference between Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit i have found that the 64bit version is much more reliable and stable than its 32bit counterpart and using the 64bit version i have never had the BSOD (BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH) compared to when i was using the 32bit i had it quite often when i was maxing out the macbook! Overall the 64bit version is better.