SR MBP Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eenu, Jun 23, 2007.

1. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Can everyone please post the following:

Current Battery Capacity (When 100% Charged):

Battery Life (time) from unplugging until it dies and what you are doing and what settings you are using:

The story behind this is i have just rang apple care a little concerned about my battery life.... i was expecting to be given a new battery to try however the guy on the phone thinks the battery is fine and it maybe down to the logic board. So just need to do some strategic testing and have feedback here before i get a replacement sent.

2. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

so no one has a clue eh?

I also left it sleeping for 12hrs and it used 6% of the battery..... sure my ibook only used to use 1% for over 24hrs....

Edit: and it appears being on wired net doesnt use anymore power than wirless as its got the same battery life....i'm thinking an issue with the PMU which has already been reset

EDIT 2: Also posted this with more info on apple.com:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1009142

3. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

I just saw this, sorry. I calibrated mine according to the Apple instructions and it's getting around 3-4 hours, average. I can try and get more specifics for you, but it won't be until this evening.

Gotta get my hair done and hit the summer barbecue circuit first. LOL. :p

4. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

I'd be very interested in your results as you have the same spec as me. I need to know ASAP as i am still within 14days to ave it exchanged.

5. Marioz macrumors member

In my MBP SR 2,4

Total cap. 5569

The rest has little to do with something usefull as depends a lot what you do.

My battery was working 4h 10min last time.

6. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

No worries. I can get you some info by 8PM EST or so. Sooner if I can hijack an unsecured wireless network for a few minutes! I am charging her up now!

7. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

The two things i am interested in are battery time when on wireless and battery time when wired.... seems to make no difference to my mbp.

I would also like to know battery depletion when sleeping.

8. katorga macrumors regular

Wide range

I always have wireless enabled on mine and the battery times seem shift dramatically depended on even light load.

With the screen at 60% doing simple surfing/email - 4:10-5:505
    Under heavy load such as compiling and installing subversion: 2:45-3:30

I wish the video drivers exposed the PowerMiser function of the Nvidia GPU. Under windows I can force powermiser to underclock the GPU all the time (I only push it to full speed for games). This dramatically increases battery life and reduces heat.

9. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

does this mean you have sat there using it constanly for that amount of time? I used mine solid for 3hrs 39 mins constantly..... if i walk away sometimes and the screen dims or sleeps etc i get longer.

10. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

come on people there must be loads of people that could reply to this....

Going to bed now and expect lots of useful replies by the morning :p

11. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

OK so I'm late, I know. New to Macs and it took me awhile to figure out how to find the capacity. It's 5468.

Today I used it on and off for about 3 hours, 40 min. It seems to stay in that range, even up to a bit over 4 hours. Still hardly near the 5.5 hours estimated for this model.

And I basically have been mainly surfing, installing small widgets and apps, blogging, doing some light photo editing, uploading stuff to my ipod and such. No idea how the time varies with really intensive stuff.

Hope this helps!

12. klymr macrumors 65816

Ok, how do I check all this stuff? I have a 17" High res., 2gb RAM, 160gb 7200RPM drive and when I use it at school (Word and surfing the net on wireless) I end the class with about an hour of battery left (according to the gauge). Class is only 1.5 hours, so I'm wondering if something is wrong. :(

as for the useage over night....that seems to be normal for the new intel boards when the notebooks are "sleeping" my ibook uses about 2-3% over 12 hrs sleeping and the new intels use about 6+% while sleeping...they are a bit more power hungry i guess when sleeping they use more of a small current of power to keep them going

You will never ever get the estimated 5.5 hours...that is if you are strickly typing and your brightness is at the lowest, and you have every single energy saving feature on and are not even barely using it. ibooks which are supposedly better on batteries than the new macbooks or macbook pros don't do that great either. Says up to 6 hrs ...ive never topped 4.5, and usually get 3 and a half hours. 3:40 is decent. :)

15. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

Yeah i am getting that time except i am doing nothing more intensive than adium and websurfing. Would hate to see what happens when i start photoediting :eek:

I was also concerned that turning off wireless does not affect my battery life in anyway. I was expecting an increase but i got nada

16. mayoko185 macrumors member

I get anywhere from 3 to 4 hours running Firefox/Adium/Colloquy and iTunes /w wireless. Current capacity total 5591, though it says original capacity is 5500... weird..