SR MBP Battery Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stopsignguy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Stopsignguy macrumors member

I have a SR MBP bought exactly one year today and for the past month have noticed that my battery is really weak. If unplugged from the magsafe, the battery meter on the menubar will show only about 30 minutes of battery life remaining (with screen brightness at lowest, but Wi-Fi still on). This has to be severely lower than what it should be one year later. I have almost every month did a full drain and recharge but I don't believe the health of my battery can be this low. Do you think Apple will replace it? I forgot to mention I have extended Applecare to about 2010. Does anyone know the threshold at which the life of the battery is "under specs" and where is isnt? Thanks in advance.

iStat shows battery health at 12% with 59 cycles. Also after typing this paragraph, my battery has gone down to 22 minutes (82%) since unplugging prior to writing.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

If after doing that you see no improvement, call AppleCare. They should replace the battery at no charge to you.

3. Stopsignguy thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have tried resetting the SMC as well as the various common diagnostic tests. I was just wondering if anyone knew at what point the battery deterioration is under spec and considered "normal wear and tear" under Apple. I am currently not in the country and will call the Applestore as soon as I get back in about another week.