SR MBP battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotsauce3868, Apr 28, 2008.

1. hotsauce3868 macrumors member

I have a SR MBP that has the original battery in it. Recently when I have been using the computer solely on battery power, the battery drains to about 35% - 40% and then the computer shuts off. I try turning on the power again and the computer starts for about 10 seconds then turns off. The temperature is not that hot either, around 92 degrees Fahrenheit on the bottom of the case. When I press the silver button on the back of the battery it says I still have 2 full (bright) dots out of the 5 remaining. The battery only has 40 or so cycles on it. The battery is also starting to swell ever so slightly.

Do you think this is covered by my warranty? Also any thoughts are appreciated.

2. zaney macrumors regular

It sounds like it's lost calibration, try re-calibrating it: Full discharge, full charge, full discharge, full charge. Then see what happens.
    I'd keep an eye on that swelling though, if it gets worse, or you have any doubts, return it. You don't wanna be anywhere near a Lithium fire.

3. mchank macrumors regular

You should get an exchange immediately; Apple will replace your battery even if its out of warranty because of the possible fire hazard. A swelling battery usually indicates that one of the cells inside has been punctured and a battery can catch fire or explode with little warning.