Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can you hear audio hiss or bleeps on your SR MBP when using the audio out jack?

• Yes, I can hear a hiss.

Votes: 76 63.3%
  • No, my audio is clean.

Votes: 44 36.7%

• Total voters

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I hear both the hiss and the tones. Hitting the function button to raise or lower volume will provoke the tones. The tones are very soft, like the tones in a hearing test. I would not be surprised if some folks who think they have pretty good hearing can't hear them. I'm in my 50s, but I can certainly hear them when there is no other source playing (when I hit the volume up or down function keys). Younger folks probably hear them more easily.

Low impedence Etymotic ER-4Ps make it very obvious. High impedence Sennheiser HD 600s don't show it.

Good luck with the survery and notifying Apple!

Thanks for your feedback Bob. More empirical evidence that the fault is related to the output jacks impedance level.

Sopranino

spill

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Just migrated from a Core Duo to a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo LED version yesterday, and upon plugging my Shure E4G's in I immediately looked around to see who had installed a dish sink behind me and turned it on full blast.

The hissing is awful. Having had two of the Core Duo's (1.8Ghz models) before this, I was a little frustrated by the way the sound card power management would turn the headphone output on with a "pop" to play a sound effect before shutting it off quite obviously a couple of seconds later, but this is much more of a problem. Seems like the headphone jack stays on longer now before it cuts off (5 seconds or so at least), but it definitely is loud enough at reasonable volume levels to make you think someone's running water around you. The E4G's are foam tipped sound isolating buds.

Think I'd prefer the former model's bad power management behavior over this one's noisy output.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Just migrated from a Core Duo to a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo LED version yesterday, and upon plugging my Shure E4G's in I immediately looked around to see who had installed a dish sink behind me and turned it on full blast.

The hissing is awful. Having had two of the Core Duo's (1.8Ghz models) before this, I was a little frustrated by the way the sound card power management would turn the headphone output on with a "pop" to play a sound effect before shutting it off quite obviously a couple of seconds later, but this is much more of a problem. Seems like the headphone jack stays on longer now before it cuts off (5 seconds or so at least), but it definitely is loud enough at reasonable volume levels to make you think someone's running water around you. The E4G's are foam tipped sound isolating buds.

Think I'd prefer the former model's bad power management behavior over this one's noisy output.

Hi spill.

Do you know the build week of your system ? (the week can be found by looking at the serial number, it will be the two digits immediately following the first three elements of the serial number ie W46331GRHEG would be the 33rd week build.)

Thanks

Sopranino

spill

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Hi spill.

Do you know the build week of your system ? (the week can be found by looking at the serial number, it will be the two digits immediately following the first three elements of the serial number ie W46331GRHEG would be the 33rd week build.)

Thanks

Sopranino

W87320F****

mac17

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
i have a 2.2 mbp i just got a few days ago, and i noticed on my Bose triports (not in ear ones) theres a annoying beeping noise but no hiss, And on my etymotics 6i there a hiss and beeping.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I have the R2D2 sounds. It's only with my iPod headphones on my MBP - it doesn't happen with my powered speakers. Weird.

Week 36.

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
I have the hiss but it only occurs with my headphones and I can only hear it if there is no other audio. I can not hear any audio issues when the MBP is plugged into my 4 year old Boston Acoustics 5.1 speaker system.

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
hey, Sopranino, i just got the new replacement MBP i had (4th MBP now) and it still has the r2d2. Hope i can poll again cos its not per user opinion, but per machine problem(a person can have 10MBPs and all 10 have r2d2 sounds and therefore should logically be allowed to put 10 votes in the "have r2d2" section of the poll).

jlui88

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Hey, I've encountered the same problem on my brand new SR MB 2.2Ghz. I've taken most posts into account and have tested several different headphones. Currently, I'm using my Sennheiser EH-150's as they are the only set that eliminate the hissing and much of the beeping noices. They have a 32 ohm impedence. Sadly, my panasonic in-ear headphones are terrible...due to the fact that they only have about 16 ohm impedence. So yes this problem is in the SR MB's as well. :(

- Jlui88

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.