SR MBP GPU finally died, what does apple do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgacam2, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

So my wonderful 2.2 ghz sr macbook pro finally died. It was built during the specified dates that apple stated. Im going into the apple store to see the geniuses tommorow. What can i expect them to do. Can i pay them extra money to upgrade me to the new macbook pro? or will they do it for free. What can i expect, please share your experiences.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm sorry to hear this but just outta curiosity, when it died.
    Are we talking about the videocard not firing up, the screen graphics being corrupted or doesn't the entire system start?

3. mgacam2 thread starter macrumors regular

mgacam2

it basically logs in and stuff but screen is completely blank. Before that i was getting graphics artifacts.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'd get Apple to check it out but artefacts could be caused by a damaged display cable too! Keep us posted with updates please cause like many, I too have a 2.2Ghz MBP though it's working fine!

*touch wood*

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you won't be getting a brand new one for free. they will fix/replace the gpu if that is the problem.

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They'll likely fix it or replace it with another 2.2 SR MBP. There were a bunch in the refurb store today, so it's unlikely you're going to get any kind of upgrade.

7. six.four macrumors 6502

I would honestly be surprised if they even replaced it with a refurb.

This is a known problem - and Apple has even extended their normal coverage to two years after the purchase date for this issue. They are already prepared to handle the repairs of this defect at their depots. They will have you send in your MBP and they will fix it up for you and return it.

Especially if this is your first "issue", it is extremely unlikely that you'll get any replacement - they'll just fix it for you.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

They will just repair it, especially since Nvidia is paying for it.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Since the warranty covers 2 years after you bought your SC MBP, what happen if the GPU died 1 year or 1.5 years later?
    Most likely by that time, the refurb MBPs will finish already, so what then?

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If Apple's internal stockpile for parts dries up too soon - usually they keep parts for about five years. They'll replace the system for one with the nearest specification. It'll be an upgrade but not to the latest and fastest models.

11. six.four macrumors 6502

Yup. The odds of the stockpile drying up soon - extremely slim.

In this particular case where apple is aware of the issue and voluntarily added the extra year on (2 years) - you can bet they will carry a supply of parts to repair your system for ATLEAST another two years.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I just went through the repair or replace experience and was told by Customer Relations that Apple cannot replace a unit with a refurbished computer. I assumed that there was some type of Consumer Law regarding this issue. If it gets to the point that they cannot fix it after a couple of attempts, they will replace it with a similar MBP in the current line up.

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

As far as repairing your MacBook Pro, they will replace your logic board to correct the issue. I can't see Apple running out of replacement parts any time soon as I would imagine they are stockpiled due to the issue regarding the GeForce 8600M graphics processors.

14. mgacam2 thread starter macrumors regular

mgacam2

So i did bring it in and they are replacing the logic board as well as my I/O ports. Hopefully everything works out. I asked about upgrading for a fee but they said only third party retailers do that.