SR MBP Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toenexx, Jun 8, 2007.

1. toenexx macrumors member

Is it possible to convince Apple to put in a 1x2gb stick of ram in a MBP i ordered (I got 2x1gb sticks for total of 2gb)? The reason I ask this is because upgrading from 2gb to 4gb is a rip... I'm planning to upgrade memory later, but it will be easier to already have a 1x2gb stick (instead of 2x1gb sticks) and an empty slot.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I am wondering that too...

3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

You're going to either need some very, very good friends in a retail store or (more logical) hock the first set and newegg, etc. the 2gb stick. But if you're planning to stick with 2 gb for now (as you would with just 1 stick), I'd say wait for 2x2gb to go down in price over time and it would probably even out the difference in the end. On the whole though, Apple doesn't listen to much convincing when it comes to options on their hardware. Jobs knows what you need for now :D

4. czeluff macrumors 6502

do this

do this instead: (since Apple does not have any way in their BOM to swap out for 1 x 2gb stick).

Sell each of your 1gb sticks for $80 ($160 total). Then go here and buy 2 x 2gb sticks for $225. That way, the ram upgrade is only $65 :)

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

every1 i know is doing this.

cz

5. toenexx thread starter macrumors member

6. anothermacaddic macrumors member

7. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

8. mags631 Guest

I spent $247 (incl. tax and shipping) for the 2x2GB kit from OWC. The link is above in this thread (macsales something or other). I can confirm that the price is good and the memory works because I'm typing this note in my SR MBP with 4GB of RAM.

9. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

There may be a few other manufacturers with slightly faster or cheaper than Crucial, but you will not find better quality, compatibility and customer service. I have been building PCs for over 20 years and once I found Crucial many years ago, I pretty much use them exclusively for everything. I never once had a defective stick of memory from them ever and the one time I was building a very specialized machine with a motherboard no one listed Ram for, Crucial came through on that as well. If you throw in their lifetime warranty, it is worth the little $ they ask for it.

10. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah, i'm very familiar with them in the PC world but no the MAC world. I've been building PC's for a couple years (i'm only 21) and I researched them alot. I use Mushkin a lot since they are slightly cheaper. I'll probably go with the Crucial. Is that the exact sticks that apple uses???

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Crucial is good, but a bit high
    OWC is popular
    Datamem.com has the pair for US$230

czeluff: no way on this green earth you're getting $160 for a pair of Apple 1 Gb modules with no warranty.
    Lucky to get $70 for the pair.

12. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

Since I am extremely new to Apple computers I can not say who their prefered memory vendor is. It quite possibly could be Crucial as they are the prime supplier to most of the big name computer manufacturers. Of course some of the bargain price vendors use the lowest bidder technique from time to time to save $ and you get what you get, but from what I have heard about Apple, I would think they would be gunning for the preferred quality like Crucial. I could be wrong about that but regardless, No matter what brand of computer your looking for if Crucial has it listed as fully compatible then you can be sure it will work with your system.

There are a few other good brands out there as well, but with Crucial you get the assurance of quality products, service and rock solid compatibility every time.