SR MBP: New Logic Board, New Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by virtualinc, Feb 4, 2008.

1. virtualinc macrumors newbie

I'm having a number of issues with my 15" 2.2, and I finally took it in to the local Genius bar yesterday. The annoyances have been: a sticky/clicky trackpad button, a cluster of dead/stuck pixels, and most recently, a failure of the internal speakers to work. The Genius with whom I spoke didn't identify my trackpad button as an issue, but placed an order for a new display and a new logic board for my laptop. I'll have to leave it with them for three days or so while they replace these parts.

Does anyone here think replacing two major components in a six-month-old laptop is justifiable? Should I be pushing for a replacement machine?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How many times have you had the laptop in for repairs? If it's the first time then you're more then likely a long way from a replacement laptop.

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I think it's justifiable, but that doesn't mean Apple will. I've seen them repair/replace nearly every internal component of a Mac rather than offer a replacement Mac, even when politely but firmly asked. For some reason, once it's past the initial return/exchange period, they seem to look upon machine replacement as an absolutely last resort---even if replacing the internal components would normally cost about as much as the machine itself.

EDIT: I meant to say that I think a replacement machine is justifiable, but that Apple won't.

4. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

I had a 1.25GHz Powerbook G4 last year, so four years old. Busted logic board and in the last month of the extended Applecare warranty and they didn't replace the machine. Just the logic board :(.