SR MBP runs way too hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmacdude, Nov 17, 2007.

1. mrmacdude macrumors newbie

I have a MBP running leopard. It stays around 150 degrees on average, getting as high as 180. I can't do ANYTHING to cool it down, besides turning it off. Any advice?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

a) don't block the vents
    b) use smcFancontrol
    c) trade it in for a notebook that's worth a &%$£

3. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Why exactly is it not worth a ****?

SMC fan control doesn't work, by the way.

4. Type121 macrumors regular

Sure it does. You have the current version?

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It works fine on my SR Mbp.

I'm always around 100 degrees fahrenheit.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You've just pointed out one of the reasons yourself :D

As others have said, it should work - although I'm not sure if it works under Leopard.

7. Type121 macrumors regular

It does.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh goody.

Perhaps the OP would like to enlighten us as to how it doesn't work for him/her in that case.

9. ~David macrumors regular

~David

Mines running perfectly cool (For a laptop). Currently at 45C under normal load.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

11. lazymej macrumors newbie

Why does smc not work for you? I use it with my 2.2GHz SR MBP and it works wonders. I can be running on full load, and just turn up the fan revs and its nice and cool on my lap. It tends to get a bit noisy at 6000rpm though, like I'm in a plane :D

12. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

check to make sure there isn't a clear plastic covering on the rear vent

this was a known issue from apple that they failed to remove this plastic before shipping, thus not allowing the hot air out

13. weckart macrumors 68040

Forget smcFancontrol, the better freebie is Fancontrol 1.2, which regulates the speed of your fans better than the default firmware settings in the MBP. Those trade off heat for quiet, which is why your MBP gets toasty.

Version 1.2 works fine under Leopard 10.5.1.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I suppose it depends on which you prefer. The fact that I *need* either with the MBP is laughable in itself but if pressed I greatly prefer smcFancontrol as it works a lot better. It's the only one I paid for.

15. jablko macrumors member

I'm a big believer in RMClock (free) under Windows and Coolbook ($10) under OSX. These programs allow you to undervolt your processor. Mine is completely stable under high loads much lower than stock.

After testing, my optimal voltage settings are:
    1.025 v @ 2.2ghz (1.250 v normally)
    0.975 v @ 2.0ghz (1.1875 v norm)
    0.925 v @ 1.8ghz (1.125 v norm)
    0.850 v @ 1.4ghz (1.0 v norm)
    0.850 v @ 800 mhz (0.850 v norm)

Less electricity means less heat, and while it may mean less stability as well, thorough testing with the utility provided by Coolbook lets you know where the sweet spot is.

As you can see, you can't undervolt any lower than the 800 mhz idle setting already is at, so it won't change your idle speed, but it will help a lot when you're doing processor-intensive tasks.

16. TimJim macrumors 6502a

smcFanControl should work you you. Try it again.

17. dynamic macrumors newbie

Since the MBPs intake is... right next to the exhaust it's circulating nothing but hot air, you could always drill a grid of small holes on the bottom case, right under the two fans so it's actually pulling some cool air into the machine. The top speaker holes provide little intake, and are slightly off of the fans. My MBP has never gotten that hot to justify me doing it, but I'm sure it would make a hell of a difference. Did this on my old laptop which ran hot, and it helped a lot. Just bad thermal design on Apple's part, they just had to make it look perfect. A lot of laptops do this though, some even have the holes but then ingeniously slap warranty stickers over them hah.

18. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

:eek: holes? mate, there is no need to butcher it; find out why it is over heating; it shouldn't be that hot - heck, mine never gets that hot.

19. dynamic macrumors newbie

While I wouldn't call that butchering it lol, if done correctly =P, this is true as mine never gets that either. A last resort option?

20. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I'm assuming he recently bought it (Santa Rosa) - why not take it into the store he bought it from and find out why - by putting holes in hit, he invalidates his warranty - and its also just plain well stupid too.