Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Ever since I got my 2.2 GHz SR MBP I've been annoyed at the shallow screen angle, and today I finally decided to compare it to other MBPs just to make sure nothing was wrong. Well, it turned out that something is. I compared it both to a store's first-gen MBP (the one with the little iSight-dot. The hinge was pretty darn worn and easy to move though) and a friend's second gen MBP (the one before this last revision), and both open about 5-15 degrees more (I'm just making estimates here). Mine doesn't seem to open more than maybe 15 degrees from 90 degrees. Other than that it's perfect, but I'm really bummed at this flaw in ergonomics.

The hinge seems perfectly alright, the stop is pretty distinct and it doesn't creak noticably or anything. The fit also seems more or less perfect.

Anyone else have this? I'm going to contact Apple support first thing tomorrow morning.

ukp

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
I have the same problem, as did all the ones in the apple bluewater store, so I guess it's meant to be.

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Are you saying all the new SR MBPs have smaller maximum tilts than the old ones? Did you compare between different models?

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
I have noticed a difference between my week 22, week 24, and week 25 SR MBPs. The first two definitely opened farther, but they also had very stiff hinges. My week 25 opens less but has a very fluid hinge with a nice, distinctive stop. My guess is that there was a production change or that there are two types of hinge assemblies out there.

Overall, I think the latter hinge is of better quality, but I also wish it would open slightly more.

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
But the old MBP was already heavily critisized for it's shallow angle. There should be more commotion about this issue, if all new MBPs really have shallower angles. What's up with all this?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Same angle as the previous model I believe.

Bear in mind if you are having to move the screen all the way back you are probably viewing your laptop screen wrongly.

You should have it as high as possible, you should be looking directly at the screen not down on it. There is some health issues related to looking down on a screen (neck strain or something).

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
So it's supposed to be specced at the same angle? The whole neck-strain issue isn't relevant anyway, as I might want to tip the screen further back if, say, I'm using a stand to tilt the keyboard forward.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Same angle as the previous model I believe.

Bear in mind if you are having to move the screen all the way back you are probably viewing your laptop screen wrongly.

You should have it as high as possible, you should be looking directly at the screen not down on it. There is some health issues related to looking down on a screen (neck strain or something).

Please cut off the health issues crap.

And so Apple is offering a free wrist slitting device with each Macbook to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome as well?

Poor design is poor design. Period.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007

You should have it as high as possible, you should be looking directly at the screen not down on it.
Says who?

I often walk by my desk to check email on my Dell laptop. Just a quick glance is all I need -- no need to sit down. Since my laptop screen pushes ALL THE WAY DOWN, I'm able to see the screen perfectly while standing up. I won't be able to do this if I buy a Mac.

To be honest, it is something that bothers me about the Mac laptops.

ukp

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2007
I have the same problem, as did all the ones in the apple bluewater store, so I guess it's meant to be.

Having had to return my previous SR MBP due to it shredding DVD/CD's, my replacement model's hinge now opens further so I can get a more natural viewing angle - more like my old C1D MBP.

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Shouldn't they all open the same amount??

Of course they damn well should :( This is just another thing to watch out for with the new MBPs it seems, but this thread and issue hasn't garnered a lot of attention so far.

I've talked to an apple support center about it, they're gonna try to fix it next week (I'll have them replaced the HDD for a WD 250GB one while they have the thing opened anyway). I really hope I won't need to replace the screen, it's nearly perfect the way it is. If they do, I might consider asking them to call the hinge fixing off...

Oh, and I've compared to to an older first gen MBP in a store, a friend's last-gen MBP, and another 2.2Ghz SR MBP in another store, and they all opened more than mine.

But please, post in this thread if you have any experience in this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.