SR MBP screen dimming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GladRags, Jun 26, 2007.

1. GladRags macrumors newbie

I've had my new SB MBP for a couple of weeks now and have noticed something which I think is odd. The screen automatically dims itself - whether it is running off the battery or the wall plug. I don't see anywhere where I can change this behaviour - the Energy Saver settings mention putting the display to sleep, but not this dimming...it doesn't always seem to be predictable...on AC power it seems to dim after 4 minutes of inactivity, on battery a little less (maybe 2 mins), but sometimes it just does it all of a sudden.

I don't know if it would have been relevant, but I did reset the PRAM and I did reinstall OS X.

Any thoughts? Could the hardware be defective?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You unchecked the one in system pref.--->energy saver--->options? If so, you know the MBPs have light sensors under the speaker grills, this could be affecting it. I don't know if there's a preference for this, I don't have a MBP yet, but that might be a reason, see what you can do.

3. Sopranino macrumors 6502

It sounds like the option that controls dimming prior to display sleep is active. To turn it off go to System Preferences/Energy Saver/Options and uncheck the line that reads 'Automatically reduce the brightness.....'

That should take care of the display dimming.

Sopranino

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Unless it really bothers you, leave the automatic brightness control on - it means your keyboard and display will be illuminated to optimal levels at all times.