SR MBP surprisingly durable.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onthat, May 18, 2008.

1. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

So a nightmare became reality this morning. I passed out with my MBP on the bed, rolled over and heard a loud crash. I immediately realized what had happened and peaked over my pillow and onto the floor. I'm glad I didn't witness the fall, not sure what effect it would have on my mental health:) It fell nearly 4 feet onto my alarm clock, so I knew the screen would be fudged. Eventually I worked up the courage to examine the book, and was surprised to find very little damage...just a few tiny scratches. Ran hardware test and everything cleared. Very impressed.

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Lucky. I had one take a fall off of a counter...only about 3 ft, but the screen shattered. Mine was open at the time and fell so that the side hit at a 90 degree angle.

That screen is a pretty pricey piece to repair...:(

3. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

Actually mine was open as well, it turned a backflip off the bed and landed on the screen. I guess it has more to do with luck than quality...but I still intend to tell my story to anyone whose about to make a purchase and is considering a Mac.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No damages whatsoever? Wow. I dropped my computer cleaning it (go figure); ended up with a dented corner.

5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Four feet! What sort of bed do you sleep on!?

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

7. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

Its just the typical dormitory bunk bed...that's why I was expecting a lot of damage, so far I haven't found any problems. I'm usually very careful with my possessions.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

This thread comes as a surprise. Don't I usually hear people saying that the MBP, and PB's get dents from a strong breeze?

9. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

*Slowly backing out of this thread, clutching my MBP tightly to my chest....* :(

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

ROFL :p

I still carry my MBP one-handed by the side. My fingers will slip one day and the computer will fall. I'll still be doing it.

11. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

It is funny how familiarity and duration of ownership take its toll on how you care for you possessions. When I first got my PBG4 I would baby it all the time, putting it in its case when I was just moving from room to room! Now, I walk up and down my stairs with my PB open, holding it with just one hand :eek: I think once it gets a minor dent, or anything, you stop being obsessive about it. I know someday I am going to drop it down my stairs, but my new MBP is on the horizon, so when that comes it will be time to start being nuts again...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think you're right on this one. I used to carry it with a case and all; after dropping it, that's when I started with the one-handed business.