SR MBP Update and BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueArctos, Jun 29, 2007.

1. BlueArctos macrumors member

Does the recent 1.0 update impact Windows XP in bootcamp? From what I understand, BootCamp has its own drivers that it creates for use with Windows, so I assume the update won't have any impact. Still, from what I have heard about EFI, maybe it actually updates more of the firmware aspect and will also increase performance in BootCamp.

I mean, performance is great already, but every little bit counts. :D

2. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

No, there is no impact on your Boot Camp partition. Apple's Software Updates can't update Windows drivers in that manner.

3. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

I was wondering if the drivers for windows can be updated or do you have to reinstall windows xp through boot camp again?

4. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

Benchmarks went WAY down after installing bootcamp

I received my 15" 2.4 with 4G, 160GB (7200 rpm hard drive) SR-MBP today. I updated the software, then I did a benckmark test, it was 3223.

Then, I installed Bootcamp / Windows XP SP2. Everything went well. Anyway, I went back to OS X, did another benchmark test... It was 1727.

Hard drive partition was 55% for mac / 45% for pc.

Can someone tell me what is going on here? Thank you.

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

You should be able to just pop in the updated drivers CD you burned (or Leopard Install DVD once that's out) and update the drivers without a reinstallation. I can't think of any reason you would need or want to completely reinstall XP unless, for some reason, you wanted a completely "clean" install.

@above poster: That didn't happen to me, but my partition map wasn't anywhere near 50/50. It could be that the reorganization of your files to nondestructively partition your drive for Boot Camp screwed up OSX's style of drive optimization, but who knows. If it was that problem, you could try running a "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" that would perform the periodic OS maintenance tasks. Other than that I have no idea.

6. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

Thank you for the info...
    Maybe the 55/45?... smaller hard drive space for OS X?

7. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

In order to partition your drive in that fashion, the Boot Camp Utility had to nondestructively move all your files from the portion of the disk that is going to Windows to the portion to be reserved for OSX. Of course, if your OSX disk usage is already high is very hard or impossible for the utility to accomplish. If it does manage to cram your files into a small space, chances are that they've become highly fragmented and totally unoptimized like HFS+ likes them to be for best performance. Open up Terminal and run that command above ("sudo periodic daily weekly monthly"), restart after its done, and see what happens. It certainly couldn't harm anything.

8. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

I very much hope things improve. Something must be messed up! I'm planning on getting an identical setup, so I have a vested interest. :D

9. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

Indeed, i will look into that command.

Just a little off topic. I see you have the new 2.4 SR MBP. Is your LED screen OK? any yellowish stuff? Matte or Glossy? Thanks.

10. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

mine is done. everything went well... (window xp sp2 installation only, haven't install other software yet.)

11. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Its a 9C68 Glossy LG screen, and no I haven't had any problems with it.

12. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i have the same model #: 00009c68. manufacture date: c2110e00. manufacturer: 00000610.

is that a LG or a Sumsamg?

i can see a little yellowish.

13. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

Have you attempted screen calibration? That will fix the issue for some people. Also, I'm sure you are already right in front of it, but make sure it is angled properly vertically. The screen yellows at only a few degrees from absolute center.

14. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

calibration.... No need. it is the same in windows. my screen has problem. i use it for architecture/graphic design. so, i need to have a very good screen, a little bit of the yellowish tint means NO NO. my apple 23" is prefect, but i can't bring with me... for example on the train.

15. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

Well good luck with the replacement. I hate when people get defective products after waiting so long and investing so much emotion. I hope your next MBP will be perfect. I hope my MBP will be perfect, too. :D

16. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

so i deleted the windows partition, i tested for benchmark again. now it's 3236.

17. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Ok so with such a large partition it slows down OS X....

Can we install Xp to an external HD?

18. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Screen 9c68 is the Samsung.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=315184

Yellowish tint is because the Samsungs are defective. I have a matte LG 9c67 and it's flawless. I would take it back if I were you. Far too much money spent to have a defective screen.

From what I've read, only the early manufactured matte SR MBPs were LGs. Apparently, the later manufactured matte screens are Samsungs as well as all glossy screens.

19. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i don't know the answer. but i have a question.

you said with a large partition it slows down OS X. What about the Windows? Slower too? any knowledge?

20. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

I was going to ask that also - I have no idea I guess I could test it but I have no benchmark scores from before windows install to go off of, maybe you could just test it (power_mac daddy) and let us all know!

21. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Installing XP to an external is possible, but it is a complicated process and not supported by Boot Camp as normal operation yet. Windows doesn't like trying to install solely to an external drive, and the easiest method still involves using a 5GB NTFS Boot Camp partition so Windows can store its silly MBR and swap files.

You can find guides if you want to go through with it by searching Google or these forums, I'm sure.