SR MBP weak wireless card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Aug 10, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I don't know if I'm the only one, but do SR MBPs have weaker wireless cards than the old one? Or maybe my router is just dying.

Anyhow my router is only about a month old, it's a linksys, and with my old MBP I could get about 6 Mbps anywhere in my house. Now only one room down I only usually get between 2 and 4 bars of connection, which is driving me nuts. The internet is also abit choppy, works well then all of a sudden stalls and won't load stuff. Then it starts working well again after 5 seconds or so. And so on.

Could this be a defective wireless card?

2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I was wondering the same thing. My MBP usually hovers around three bars (and infrequently four bars) and the Linksys router is three feet away. :confused:

When I take the notebook out to the patio (approximately 40 ft) I get maybe two bars. My old Acer :eek: Travelmate had better reception at that distance.

3. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

I had lots of trouble with the linksys router..I had a phantom DNS problem that i could never solve. I also had weird connection problems with my MBP. so when the router finally died I got a netgear and it works great. The only suggestion i have for you is maybe see if the firmware in the router is up to date? or ddwrt may help too.

4. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

i also have that problem, except sometimes firefox is dead slow or it doesnt work at all hen ill open up safari and it works fine then vice versa... or they're both slow at the same time... any ideas?:confused:

5. kellah macrumors regular

yeah i hate to admit it as well, but i do not get reception with my SR MBP in all of the places in my house that my old computer did