SR MBP with 8600M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickvanr, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I have a SR MBP 2.4, with the 'faulty/ defective' 8600M. It was fixed back in December 2010.

Today, the screen started flickering again. Thing is, it was only when I went to one particular website. The same website that I first noticed the flickering on back in December. This website (tsn.ca) has a lot of flash.

I'm just curious if flash could cause the screen to flicker and it was that all along, or if I should maybe take this machine back in.

Any insight would be great

Thanks

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Take it back in, tell them the replacement is starting to act up as well. Ask if there's a way they can guarantee the fix will work for more than a month this time.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think it'd be fantastic if they replaced it. I'm not holding my breathe though. I had my G5 replaced when the coolant leaked. I'm thinking they'll just keep repairing the laptop until 4 years is up then tell me I'm SOL

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

they won't replace it and they won't "fix" again either if the problem can't be reproduced. 1 web site causing flicker will not be enough. good luck though! you may want to check this out also.

i would love an Apple that stood behind their products past the 1 year warranty when it's a known problem. i shouldn't have to pay extra for that.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IIRC NVidia agreed to replace all faulty 8600M GTs. The time used to be 3 years but now that some MBPs with it are older than 3 years, Apple extended it to 4 years. I pretty sure they will extend it to 5 years when the time is up.

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I didn't have to reproduce anything the first time, they plug it in to a test box, and if it says fail, they fix. I'm just wondering how many times they'll fix, before they just give you a new one, if ever.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3 major repairs usually warrants a replacement whether or not the machine is out of warranty.

8. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 3rd or after the 3rd?

Took it in last night and indeed was the 8600m/ logic board (again). So that makes two. So I guess it fails again I'll start to grumble.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it's after the third repair (i.e. if the third repair does not fix it). I doubt it's an official policy though. However, I don't think this is the case with 8600M GT. The tech who installs the new logic board knows that sooner than later, he will replace this logic board with a new one due to the 8600M GT. In the end, all owners of MBPs with 8600M GT would get a new MBP from Apple