Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hello,
I have a stock SR 2.2 MBP and Civ 4 has been crashing like no one's business. It started to crash during game play, but I was able to finish with frequent saves. Now I'm trying to start a new game and it crashes every time before I can even get to the game. I've tried many different graphics settings and resolution level combinations, but no help.

My hypothesis is that Civ 4 hasn't been patched for the 8600M yet. Does that sound logical? Civ 4 runs 100% stable on a friend's 1.83 C2D MB (albeit at low graphics settings).

Many thanks.
M

Edit: Title should have been MBP, obviously

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes, the most likely culprit is the graphics card. I'd email Aspyr and sit tight for a patch. You are up to date with the latest patch, right? The initial version of Civ IV was very unstable.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Yep - I'm up to date on the patches. I've also tried everythig else I can think of (reinstalling, quitting all non-essential processes, etc.). In my many years of Mac, I've never seen anything this unstable, so I figure it must be drivers.

This may be useful for the many threads asking about the SR MBP as a gaming platform. Wild guess I'd say other games would have similar problems - maybe not to this extent, but there nevertheless - until new patches are released.

Thanks for your help. I'll shoot Aspyr an e-mail.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I think your best bet right now would be installing Bootcamp and playing Civilization 4 under Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.