.srt subtitle file crashes Quicktime 7.6.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by allan_zip, Dec 19, 2009.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I have an avi [Generic MPEG-4, 688 x 288, Millions, MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 48.000 kHz] and a corresponding srt subtitle file.
    I can open the avi in QT but only if I remove the srt from the same folder.
    So the avi is good.
    If I have the srt in the same folder and try to open the avi, QT crashes immediately.
    I can post the cras report if that helps. I've had a look at the tsrt text and it is the same as any of my other, which all work.
    Anyone any ideas?

2. jbuk macrumors regular

Do you have Perian installed and updated to the most recent release (1.2)?

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Use VLC instead of Quicktime. VLC plays pretty much anything you can throw at it and it includes subtitle support.

4. qwertz999 macrumors newbie

hi there,
    sorry for butting in.

since my quicktime pro 7.6.4 has only recently decided to crash anytime i've added a srt file to the folder which contains the avi file*, i'd be very much interested in a solution that not only lets me view the movie with subs on my mac (als vlc does), but also to burn it to dvd (and watch it with my family on tv eventually).

because subs frequently don't sync/"match" with the movie, i'd rather check first before using up a dvd blank.
    until today, i had always "previewed" with quicktime first and then used visual hub 1.34 (with quicktime encoding forced, whenever i wanted movies hard subbed) and later on toast 8.0 for burning the dvds.

*strangely enough, removing or renaming the srt file afterwards would not help. - unlike allan_zip posts - it seems that in my case adding the srt file has somewhat damaged the avi. and yes, i have the most recent version of perian installed.

i could post the crash message that one could send to apple, but can't figure out exactly what it says.

5. qwertz999 macrumors newbie

Solution found?

As little as I did understand the crash log, Perian could be at fault!

And - I thought for a moment I had - maybe answered my own question by stumbling upon the following:

http://groups.google.com/group/peri...14ba64cd41/c4e6638839e05ce1?#c4e6638839e05ce1

Downloaded the file linked form a post by
    Alexander Strange
    24 Dez., 08:18
    http://astrange.ithinksw.net/perian/Perian-svn.component.zip

and replaced the previous file: /Quicktime/Perian.component

The good news: watching in QuickTime works now.

EDIT:
    The not so good ones: fiddling around with Perian has screwed up other stuff:
    VisualHub shows an Apple Script Error

sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    sh: -c: line 1: `/bin/echo Perian: [avi @ 0x12294180]max_analyze_duration reached
    and so on

6. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

It's Taken me Two weeks to find the answer. Here it is!

Did you get the Applescript error when using Visual Hub as it tried to prepare the audio ?
    Can't make """" into type real (-1700)

If so, Perian 1.2 is at fault. I had the same problem and by chance stumbled on to the fact that if you revert to 1.1.4 the problem goes away.

Hope this helps. (It took me MANY hours to accidentally find this), and yes, I've tested the fix.
    ;)

7. qwertz999 macrumors newbie

this is the most valuable advise of the year so far - tx so much!!!
    :)