SS Black

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by yui4, Nov 27, 2018.

1. yui4 macrumors 6502a

before anyone tells me to search as it’s been answered a million times already.....

I just needed to check, whilst the Stainless black series 4 is more resistant to scratching, does that include those fine marring scratches you can see in the sunlight?

I ask as the display models in apple store had quite a lot of those fine scratches on the screen. Not deep enough to feel but viewable under bright light

2. brentc133 macrumors member

All SS models use the much more scratch resistant sapphire glass. Maybe what you were seeing is the fine scratches in the olephobic coating. I do not see any fine screen scratches on my SS AW3.

3. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assume short of a screen protector, scratches in the oleophobic coating are unavoidable?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yes the coating on the screen is soft. Screen protectors are worst!

5. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That’s why I’m considering swapping my Nike+ for SS cos I’m too precious over stuff and have fitted a screen protector and wait for it, a bumper to it! Would rather roll naked

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have had the SBSS models AW2, AW3 and now AW4 and even the oldest looks like brand new. Now a scratch anywhere. They cost a bit more but they hold their looks with no protection.

You will love the Space Black SS.

7. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done.

Just returned Nike+ and rolling naked with the SSSB (the Watch obviously,not me!)

8. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

9. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

It’s interesting to see various posts about scratches and blemishes. People seem much less tolerant of any blemish on the Apple watch, which may be OK because you don’t keep one that long because of overall battery life, new features in the next models to upgrade to. I have a 41 year old Rolex that I bought new and it has it’s share of scratches and blemishes (character) that have accumulated over 4 decades of use. I would not trade it for a brand new one. Unless it was a gold one of course, mine is stainless lol.

Any hand or wrist items like a watch, bracelet, or ring will eventually accrue ‘character’ and become part of its owner, if they last long enough. This is not a bad thing at least with conventional watches, maybe it will be different with ‘wrist computers’? BTW, similar posts exist for the phones too, which see their share of bumps, scratches, and finish wear.

10. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Think it’s an individual thing and I’d prefer it if I was more laid back as it can become a bit obsessive but sadly I can’t help it!

11. bthompson macrumors regular

I've had the SSBS since series two, and highly recommend. My series 2 got a chip in in the body (tiny) that I could only see from a piece of metal. Other than that, my 3 and 4 are perfect and keep looking new. I wear my watch 22 hours a day, so it is worm and abused. Little water and a cloth and looks like new. Wife has a Series 1 aluminum and the screen and body are scratched to heck, and she isn't a power user.

12. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read through loads of posts before I swapped but the ability to scrap screen protectors and a bumper has been well worth the additional cost of SS to myself.

13. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I like the SS too, have the gold 40mm. I did order a bumper case which I intend to use when hiking and camping. I’m OK with around the house hazards, but when I dance with rocks, a little extra protection might be welcome.

14. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

Had the series 2 SSSB and now the 4 in the same finish. Not a mark on either and had the 2 for a couple of years.

It’s very durable, screen and glass.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

I just upgraded from a S2 SBSS to a S4 SBSS. I was a lot less careful with the S2 and it had a couple dings on it. The glass even had a couple minor scratches. My S0 was immaculate except for the scratch on the screen from my cousins diamond ring.

16. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Maybe using a black background like in the modular faces causes people to notice more?

17. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

My wife has a 20 year old stainless steel Omega and it has far fewer scratches than her 2 year old silver SS Apple Watch. I was pretty disappointed with how beat up it looks after 2 years. I have a SBSS 2 that is in great shape. I'm not as hard on my watches as my wife, but I surely won't be picking up a silver SS any time soon!

18. akash.nu, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’m the same. Can’t stand scratches on either my phones or my watches. I’ll just never wear / use them again if it gathers any scratch. Luckily I’m pretty careful about my screens and I’ve been rocking a naked phone since iPhone 5S and now on the Apple Watch 4, not even a single scratch on either of them.