SS classic buckle , is it really leather? Feel like it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MH01, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hey guys,

Having spent the first day in the office with the AW, the hottest topic discussed by everyone was the strap, a lot of people who played with it were surprised that the strap was leather. I even had to show them on apple.com that it's leather . One person even did the smell test and asked why if it was new it had zero leather smell, good point.

Is apple pushing the boundaries on the definition of leather? I've bought leather cases for my iPad and iPhones from apple, and those too push the boundaries on what is leather for me.

It's a very comfortable strap, though looking at it closely it has no stiching and looks like it's just machine pressed. Looking at the side of the strap, it resembles rubber.

If I keep the watch, I think I will ask to change bands, having owned many watches with leather bands, this one feels like fake leather at best and more like some symphetic material that is not rubber. Not too different from the iPad and iPhones cases.

Can anyone confirm if the edition straps feel like real leather or same material as the classic?

Your thoughts?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course it's real leather. Otherwise, they won't be able to advertise it as such. They did, however, glue rather than stitch the two pieces together.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

It's real leather. Apple's leather iPhone cases don't have the new leather smell either.

4. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It didn't feel good to me. I liked the milanese loop better.

Edit:
    To me it felt like construction paper. I was afraid to rip it. But thats just me. I'm sure it's a great band.

5. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

I should rephrase , yes it's "leather" else they could not advertise it as such , but it does not feel like a leather watch strap

----------

I can see where you are coming from. You feel like it would rip, but it's actually quite strong.

----------

I agree, but those never felt like real leather to be either. Well not until it started to wear

----------

Okay, I just cannot see a join anywhere. I have never seen "leather" so perfectly put together.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It feels more like leather than the iPhone 6 cases. The grain is quite nice.

7. flur macrumors 68000

I have a leather 5s case and it breaks in like real leather, getting softer over time and such. I expect the watch strap will do the same.

8. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

That's true, I did not mind the iPhone 5s case, it broke in nicely, cannot say the same about the iPhone 6 case. Be interesting how it goes after a while.

9. flur macrumors 68000

In the 360 view in the Apple store, there's a line on the bottom of the strap just to the inside of where it attaches to the metal loop that I assume is the join. It appears they've glued it. Do you see that on yours?

I do wonder at the longevity of the glue versus proper stitching, especially given the cost of the band.

10. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Someday mine might arrive and I can join in this conversation....

:::::looks wistful::::::

11. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

Yeah I see it, not sure if it's stitched there or glued . I'd almost swear that part is stiched.

I have to admit, not impressed at it for the money , nice band at all, though will replace it with another one. Hopefully they will have aftermarket , old school leather stitched ones

12. flur macrumors 68000

I hope you're right as that seems like an obvious place for the band to come apart, and for the $$$ they're charging, it'd better hold up. I'll definitely be taking a close look at mine when it gets here.