SS First Gen vs SS Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 1bravesfan, Jan 12, 2017.

1. 1bravesfan macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time deciding between a first generation SS and a series 2 SS. I am concerned that the first generation will stop being supported with updates in the near future and I am also having a hard time laying down an additional $250 for the Series 2. I need help making a decision.

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

The performance, battery life, and screen changes are worth it alone IMO. There's a pretty dramatic difference between the two. Throw in GPS and much better water resistance and the $250 should be much easier to swallow. I would save money get get an aluminum S1 well before I considered a first gen at this point.

3. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Get a first-gen and keep using it until it stops getting supported (which could be watchOS 5 or 6, for all we know) or the battery won't hold a charge (which can still be replaced anyway).

By that point, you'll know two things:
    1) How you prefer to use your AW, and
    2) If it's worth it to upgrade and exactly why you want to upgrade.

I'll keep using my first-gen SS until at least series 3 or 4.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It depends how the user is using the Apple Watch. For $250.00, I don't see the screen brightness and the processor being very compelling. The processor is only as fast as depending on how you use it with applications. Yes, it allows for booting up the watch and updating it quicker.

Additional screen brightness is appreciated, but not a compelling argument.

Are you selling points, as you mentioned, or the GPS and water resistance. If you're somebody who is into running and/or around water a lot,/swimming, then I would definitely think the Series 2 would be the better option.

5. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

I've had the original SS 42mm since launch day in 2015 and have loved it but it's main downfall was it crappy performance. I've upgraded to the SS S2 42mm two weeks ago and it was well worth the upgrade personally.

The performance increase is definitely noticeable, native and third party apps are much more responsive and fluid to use, even dragging the icons around screen is much more fluid and smoother. Screen is definitely nicer in bright light and water resistance is great to have which should have been on the original anyway.

If I had to make the choice to upgrade again I would do it in a heart beat.

6. GoSUV macrumors member

I have also been using the 38mm SS S0 AW since launch date, and have recently upgraded to the 42mm SS S2. Although the main reason for the upgrade was I actually wanted the bigger watch (regretted trying to save a few bucks by getting the smaller SS - I was debating between the larger aluminum vs. the smaller SS), but since I have come to depend on the AW so much that the S2's much slicker performance is worth the price alone. The brighter display and water proofing (not a regular swimmer, but an occasional visit to the pool during a vacation is always in the cards) are more than welcome, and some might argue should be what the first gens have been.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Aside from the processor, I definitely think Apple should have included some form of water resistance and the brighter screen on the first generation Apple Watch. But seeing how they are treating the Apple Watch with incremental improvements, they likely held off to slowly upgrade the watch overtime, attempting to attract more of a customer base.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Personally I'm holding out on my series 1 until they release an iWatch with its own data connection.

My reason is that T-Mobile doesn't always work everywhere. So I'd like to get a data plan on it though AT&T or Verizon.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I agree with your assessment on all the internal grades with the processor and GPS, the issue for me is the same physical form factor. I certainly like the form factor that I have now my Apple Watches, but I would certainly appreciate something a little bit different physically to allow me to think that I have a totally different watch aside from internal changes.

10. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

I am in the same situation. I currently have a SS Series 0 and would like to upgrade but the lack of having 'something different' is making me err on the side of caution.
    I did consider the Black SS S 2 but I'm not sure it is enough of a visual difference.
    If only Apple made something like the Samsung Gear 3 (yes it now has iOS support but it is limited).

11. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

I'd say it's a lot like buying a new model year car/truck. It's best to avoid them while the manufacturer works out the kinks. My advice is go with the Series 2. It's more refined as Apple resolved some things like water proofing, screen brightness (important for sunny days), processor speed, etc. If going Series 2 will put a strain on your finances, consider a Series 1. At least you'll have an updated processor.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I Agree with you about the processor if one didn't want to spend the extra money on the Series 2. However, I wouldn't necessarily say to avoid the first generation watch because it had issues. The Apple Watch first generation was plenty successful and will easily task watchOS four. The hardware and software have done very well. The First generation Apple Watch had actually become a lot more efficient with every OS update.

13. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Spot on.
    Whilst the Series 2 is most definitely a decent improvement it does not mean the Series 0 should be dismissed.
    I still have my SS Series 0; it plays a full-role in my daily routine and is deservedly recommended.

14. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

One question I haven't seen addressed anywhere: is Siri more responsive with the S2 over the S0?

I'm not sure if enough is done locally for the processor to make a difference, or if it's irrelevant as all the heavy lifting is done in the cloud?

Anyone who's had both care to comment?

15. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

You swim and need GPS >>> Buy SS S2
    You don't swim or need GPS >>> Buy SS S0

They both look identical anyway! :)

16. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Agree.... I went into a store, took off my SS Series 0 and placed a SS Series 2 in it's place:- I Looked at it, felt its weight, then took it off replacing it with my SS Series 0 and confidently walked straight out onto the street.

17. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Same here. It's a bit quicker? Loads an app a second faster! wooo! I will wait till the next gen, or the one after that.

It's Apple's fault. They made the SS S0 so damn good! :)

18. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

If you already have an S0, unless your disposable income is high, there probably isn't a compelling reason to upgrade to an S1/S2. But if you are buying new, it's best to go with the newest, best version you can afford.

19. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I can afford to buy an S2 but there is just no point at all. I don't want to buy something for the sake of buying it. Even more so when the S2 looks identical to the S0.

I guess Apple put a lot of R+D into that design so it makes sense to use it as long as possible!

When the next one is released, I bet they sell a ridiculous amount, as S0, S1 owners will upgrade and S2 possibly if the shape is different.

It's going be crazy at CEX. hehe. When the S3 and S4 are released, It will be a great time to buy an S2 dirt cheap!

20. dojoman macrumors 65816

You guys are making me harder to decide also. I'm having the same dilemma as OP, I actually have 2 SB SS series 0 and series 2 on the way. Not sure which one I want to open. Price difference is $300. I got Series 0 SB SS from target for $300.

21. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I upgraded to the S2 because I wanted the Space Black and I had the SS S0. I wouldn't have upgraded for its own sake.

I do like the inbuilt GPS -- I like having the map of where I've taken my walks, which is generated if you select a walk as your workout.

The battery seems to last forever in the S2.

The waterproofing isn't important because I'm pairing the watch with the leather loop and I wouldn't want that to get wet. I guess it's nice to know that I have the extra protection.

I'm not noticing the screen being obviously better. It feels like I can tell (visually) that the watch is slightly fatter.

I'm really loving the Space Black. Much, much prefer it to the SS. It goes well with the black leather loop. If I win the lottery I might buy the space black link bracelet. I bet that looks great. But it's way out of my price range.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Space black is one of my favorites. I own the stainless steel black link, it really is a piece of art and is ingenious with the removable links. But you are correct, it is expensive.

23. bniu macrumors 6502a

I've got the S2 Space Black with the Link Bracelet. Absolutely love the combo! Since I also needed a sport band for active use, I bought the Space Black with Sport Band combo and then separately picked up the link bracelet. This way also got the nice case for the band too.

24. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I'm in much the same situation as the OP. I have decided I want to give the watch a try and I want to get a SS or SBSS model mainly so I don't have to worry too much about scratching the screen. I'm hung up on the price difference between the S0 and the S2. I know the S2 is better in several tangible ways. I just don't know if it's so much better that it's worth more than twice the price of a S0. Since this has already been discussed quite a bit in this thread, I'll try to limit myself to questions that haven't been asked yet.
    • I know the S2 greatly improves the speed of loading apps. But how does it affect some of the other aspects of the watch experience? I don't think I will spend too much time in actual apps on the watch (though that could just be failure of imagination on my part haha). Rather, I expect my main interactions will be via complications on the watch faces, Siri, and a handful of bult-in apps like the workout app. I'm wondering how the speed compares for those use cases.
    • How is the workout tracking on the S0 without GPS? I workout a few times a week at one of those "boot camp" type classes that involves both cardio and some light weight lifting. So, I don't think GPS would add too much. But I'm curious how good the data would be without it.
    • How much of a difference does the brighter screen on the S2 really make in direct sunlight? Are we talking the S0 screen is fine and the S2 is a bit better? Or is it more like it's hard to read the S0 but the S2 is actually legible?
    • For people who have or have had both the SS and the SBSS, how much more does the regular SS scratch and how noticeable is it? I know the regular SS will scratch more without the DLC. But, I'm leaning toward that finish over the black and am wondering if it's going to end up looking like the back of an old iPod classic after a few months.
    Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I'm not entirely opposed to springing for a S2. But $600 is quite a bit of change and I'd have to be sure it's actually worth it.

25. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I went from S0 SS to S2 SBSS.

Speed -- I don't really use apps but insofar as I do I've not noticed any speed improvements. Actually, now that I write that, I do remember having to wait sometimes with a spinning set of circles and feeling like an idiot with my arm in the air and eventually giving up with the S0. That's never happened with the S2. Maybe it's quicker and seamless now so that I'm already taking it for granted.

Tracking -- I love the tracking. I like seeing the map of where I've been.

Brightness -- again, I've not really noticed an improvement, but maybe it's subtle. Or maybe it hasn't been called into use. I live in the UK. We get sun about three days a year. The screen is beautiful and bright and clear.

Scratches -- After 18 months my S0 SS looked like the back of the old iPod: covered in dozens of micro scratches. After 1 month of the S2 SBSS, it's as perfect as the day I got it.

One factor you didn't mention:

Look -- I think the SBSS is so much better looking. It's beautiful and black and provides a perfect background for the beautiful bright screen. The SS gives the screen a silver border, which I personally don't like.

No regrets here, but it did cost me about £350 to make the change. The S0 didn't sell for as high a price as I'd hoped.