SS Hybrid Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ks987, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ks987 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a late 2012 MBP 13" and it seems like my HD is already starting to show some wear and tear. :mad: I'm getting transfer errors, unable to verify etc., so I am in the market to purchasing a new HD. Does anyone have any experience with the hybrid drives and would something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/

work fine on my laptop? I'm not looking to shell out a lot of money for pure SSD, but if I can get some extra storage and some speed boost with a hybrid, then I'm all for it.

Also, since I have my current computer backed up on Time Machine, is using Time Machine the best way to re-create my laptop onto the new drive once I replace it?

Any advice or suggestions you could provide will be great.

Thanks

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Yes, that sshd will work fine.

Personally, I would create a bootable clone of the original hard drive and locate it on the sshd. Then, swap the drives and your good to go! (I would recommend Superduper but Carbon Copy Cloner works well too.)

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

You can use the time machine back up as well, but i guess you would need to instal isx fresh befire you do a time machine recovery hence many prefer a cloning that is if the main hard drive is functional. You could try pulling out the smart data using smart utility to se whats wrong with your current hard drive.

4. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I got the toshiba sshd kit from owc for my 2009 Mac mini. It came with a usb3 enclosure. It works great. I suggest doing a clean install of the OS then using migration assistant to transfer settings, applications and files.

I think it's a great compromise for speed and space for a reasonable price.

5. ks987 thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'll purchase that drive from Amazon and go from there...