ss scratch removal - UK products

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MyAppleWorld, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Hi

What products are people buying in the UK to remove scratches from the stainless steel?

I bought a silver polishing cloth from the supermarket but it hasn't really worked.

2. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

You can get Cape Cod cloths from Amazon.co.uk

3. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Cape cod if it is just a light, surface scratch. If you've got a deep scratch or a dink you would have to use something quite abrasive first - fibreglass pens are good for this and ive used these in the past. Unless you know what you're doing though I'd leave it before going down that route.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep the silver cloths are mainly for removing oxidation from silver would not contain the abrasives required to remove scratches.

6. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There are many products that will do a fine job. This product must have a very fine abrasive which is a requirement for scratch removal.

8. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Well I must use it once a week to bring back the shine, hopefully the abrasive isn't too harsh or I'll be down to the innards of the watch before long :)

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I hope not! It would take years of rubbing to do that. Try to do it at the first of each month

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

How do you keep from getting the polishes in the ports? It seems like it would be very tricky.

11. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I just wipe it out after each polish!

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I bought Cape Cod from amazon.co.uk yesterday, although I haven't tried it yet.

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Just used the Cape Cod cloth on my SS 42 for the first time. All I'll say is WOW! The micro scratches I had on it that were certainly noticeable, have now completely disappeared. Well worth it and v pleased.

14. axantas, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

axantas macrumors member

axantas

DON'T ever go any further than "Cape Cod"! unless you really want to destroy the look of your watch. I do have quite some experience in polishing watches. Cape Cod does a marvellous job. First try/use a silver-polishing cloth which makes the surface shiny again. (removing micro scratches)

Furthermore, pay attention when using the "Cape Cod" clothes. They are quite wet if you unpack them first, soaking every gap like the ones around the button and the crown.
    Never ever use polishing stuff on a brushed surface as well - like the expensive watchband. The brushes are nothing else but scratches...
    Polishing stuff should only be used on solid shiny surfaces (not anodized) - I would also just live with scratches on the sports model - which has an anodized surface.

If there are deep scratches, go to a good watchmaker, which has polishing machines that WILL be able to remove them on the steel model - instead of just "replacing" the deep scratches with a lot of small ones, if you do it yourself.