SS Series 3 AC+ replaced with Series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by snawaey, May 30, 2019.

1. snawaey macrumors member

Hi everyone. I have a SBSS Apple Watch series 3 that I had dropped awhile ago with a hairline crack on the back ceramic sensor. Everything works fine and the crack doesn’t bother me. The watch came with AppleCare+. Money is a bit tight for me at the moment as I’m a college student and $79 is not what I’d like the spend right now. The only way I see my self forking out the money for a replacement is if I have a shot at getting upgraded to a series 4. My question to you all is; who has recently got their series 3 replaced with a series 4? If so can you please state the model and size watch you had? Greatly appreciated :)

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No chance - there’s plenty of Series 3 watches in the supply chain to replace it with. Heck, they’re still selling the S3s.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes there is a chance! It all comes down to the model. The OP has a SS Series 3 and right here on Macrumors there was Front Page article from May 20th that covered the details of the Apple internal memo.

Dave

Link: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/20/apple-watch-series-3-replacement/

Some Apple Watch Series 3 Repairs Can Now Qualify for Series 4 Replacement

Monday May 20, 2019 7:25 am PDT by Mitchel Broussard
    Apple has informed its retail staff that it will substitute some Apple Watch Series 3 repairs with the Apple Watch Series 4, due to low inventory on the older model. The announcement was spotted by an internal memo delivered to staff and Authorized Service Providers, seen by 9to5Mac.

Now, customers looking for a repair or replacement of the stainless steel Apple Watch Series 3 with GPS and cellular, can instead receive the stainless steel Series 4 model with GPS and cellular. The change is said to apply to Apple retail stores and ASPs globally, but it's unclear at this time if the Series 4 upgrades are a permanent solution to the Series 3 shortages.

Apple's new repair/replacement upgrade for the Apple Watch is the latest of several instances of the company substituting Apple Watch repairs with newer models. This began in January, when the company announced that some first-generation Apple Watches and Apple Watch Series 1 could qualify for Series 2 replacements, due to supply constraints on repair parts for the older models. Then, earlier in May, Apple confirmed that repairs of certain Apple Watch Series 2 models will be fulfilled with equivalent Series 3 models due to temporary shortages of unspecified Series 2 parts.

To initiate a repair, head to the Get Support page on Apple's website and book an appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. As usual, it's not guaranteed that all locations will acknowledge existence of this internal policy, especially given that there is no definitive end date, so your mileage may vary.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Not going to happen. Even when it’s possible, it’s rare.

5. snawaey thread starter macrumors member

Yes exactly what I’m wondering

6. snawaey thread starter macrumors member

Bump. Any updates anyone?

7. Monkswhiskers macrumors regular

If this is true then I might have an 'accident' before my Applecare+ is up.

8. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

If you really want to swap out your watch under Apple Care+ for $79 before it runs out, does their have to be anything wrong with the watch? I couldn't bring myself to have an 'accident'.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s probably a good thing, because if Apple detects any type of malfeasance with the watch that wasn’t actually a valid accident’, they flat out will deny the AppleCare claim, which has happened to Other members in here.

10. marvlaw macrumors member

The store just confirmed that my SS Series 3 is being replaced with a Series 4!

11. snawaey thread starter macrumors member

38mm tho. I’m sure they have more SS 42 mm’s left on th inventory compared to the 38.

12. marvlaw macrumors member

Yes, that is true. It’s also silver so I don’t know if that made a difference either. I picked it up today and so far I’m loving it!

13. snawaey thread starter macrumors member

Sent out my SSSB 42mm S3 Apple Watch today via the Apple store. Will keep you guys updated.

14. philipno1 macrumors newbie

philipno1

I am currently in ShenZhen China, own SSSB S3 42mm. They told me due to the pats shortage I might get S4. Sending in on 8th will get back to you guys when I have my replacement. cheers

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would be curious what ‘Part shortages’ are you referring to? (I.e Displays, batteries, ect)

16. snawaey, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019

snawaey thread starter macrumors member

Don’t think it’s a shortage of any specific part but them just not making replacement series 2 SS watches anymore. So in order to ensure they have replacement units for a SS series 2 getting replaced they’re holding all the SS series 3’s for that and series 3’s in service now get upgraded to a series 4. Apple is prob just going to replace all SS series 2s and under with a SS series 3. And until they can get plenty of replacement SS series 3’s in stock they’ll upgrade series SS S3 customers with a S4 for the time being.

17. philipno1 macrumors newbie

philipno1

I really don't know, the guy told me that iPad have message display on the screen with "Part shortages". I do see part shortages on the screen might exchange to S4

18. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

My Series 3 SS 38mm has an issue with the crown so I’m going to see if mine is swapped with a series 4.
    I’ll give Apple support a call to see what they say?

19. philipno1 macrumors newbie

philipno1

I also reported issue with the crown, haha

20. cruzmisl macrumors regular

My S3 42mm SBSS suffered a fall in the bathroom and was replaced with another S3, so YMMV but I wouldn't go out of your way to hope for an S4.

21. snawaey thread starter macrumors member

Same just got mine back same S3 but glad to have a fresh watch!

22. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

They must be able to get the parts very quickly when they are short on them.

23. marvlaw macrumors member

My 38 mm was replaced with a Series 4. It seems that most 42mm are getting back the same series 3 so maybe it is specific to the size?

24. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I returned it after a phone call on Monday to AppleCare, they picked it up Wednesday, received it today and have already sent out a replacement. But they’v given no information as to whether it’s a series 4.

25. cruzmisl macrumors regular