SSD Adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by englishman, Jan 2, 2016.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

For installing a SSD into a 2009 Mac Pro Hard Drive Slot I have previously used ICY DOCK but these seem disproportionately expensive now that SSDs have come down in price so can anyone recommend a simpler, cheaper adapter? Thanks

2. Gartbull macrumors newbie

I use an HP 2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Adapter in my 2010. It works great. The model number is 654540-001 which I purchased on eBay. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HP-65454...586499?hash=item4af4706503:g:jvwAAOSw6dNWTsDK

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

4. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

The low cost option is gaffer tape. There is no weight to an SSD compared to a HDD.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Zero cost option is nothing. Just put it in the connector and forget it. As long as you won't travel with your MP the SSD and SATA connector will be safe.

6. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

IMO, do yourself a favor and spend $57 for the OWC Accelsior "S" PCIe card:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDACL6G.S/

This is a PCIe card which will mount any 2.5" drive ( so you won't be giving up a 3.5" bay), but the more important thing is that it's running SATA-III, whereas your Mac Pro's SATA bays are only SATA-II. Pair it with a 2.5" SATA-III SSD.

The payoff is that for that $57, instead of your SSD's performance capping out at less than 300 MB/sec (the maximum for SATA-II), you'll be giving it more headroom and get close to double that performance.

For example, I've installed one in my 2012 and its benchmark (Blackmagic with 3GB blocks) was 481 write / 517 read.

-hh

7. 12CoreMP macrumors member

12CoreMP

I use an OWC SSD adapter exact same as the drive holders on a MP but the one I have is blue. It cost 17GBP from Amazon.

8. brianbrook macrumors member

brianbrook

Just put it in the connector and forget it..............that works for me! actually will do this in a few days!

9. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

LOL. No one should go anywhere on this planet without a good selection of gaff tape. Smart idea. Save a crud tun of money! I've got so many colors from different shoots I've been on I could make something quite interesting in there!

Meh, OP, if you got open PCI slots why not invest in some PCI-SSD cards if you don't already have them? You could take full advantage of SATA 3.

I'll tell you what though..I've been waiting a VERY long time for large SSDs to both exist and come into the affordable price range. I always dreamed of ripping out the 5 spinners I got running in my Pro and replacing them with things that don't make a peep. By the time I get around to that dream though the fans will probably be screeching their way into a loud and well deserved golden sunset.